yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

8 Tips to Avoid Nightmares During this Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

We all love a good scary movie with a little romance and maybe some blood and guts, but what about after the frightening show when you head off to bed? Here are 8 tips to avoid reliving that clown jumping out or that murderer with the chainsaw.

1. Watch a children’s cartoon right after. It will take your mind off the horror you just saw and you can reminisce in your favorite childhood show! (personal favorite is Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  2. Don’t eat just before you sleep. It has been proven to induce odd nightmares, and we’re trying to avoid that!
  3. Talk it out. Talking to a friend or family member about the movie before bed will help calm your mind and put you at ease that you’re back in reality and will most likely never experience anything like what the characters in the movie just did.
  4. Do some yoga or breathing exercises before bed, perhaps even a warm shower or bubble bath. This will relieve any stress you might be experiencing and get your body to relax before hitting the hay.
  5. Play some calming tunes or white noise; light a scented candle with lavender. Anything to calm the senses!
  6. Take some natural sleep aides like melatonin that will quiet your brain and make you tired.
  7. This one may be silly but is proven true! Leave a light on or bring a nightlight to the bedroom to ease your mind about the pitch-black surroundings. Personally, I flip all the lights on in the house so no “monsters” can hide.
  8. Lastly, just remember it’s not real most of the time. Some are based off of “true stories” but still, Hollywood likes to stretch the truth a little for views. 
I grew up in Columbus, Ohio and have been doing dance, gymnastics, and cheerleading for as long as I can remember. I have been a lifeguard for six years. I am a member of the Alpha chapter of Alpha Chi Omega here at DePauw. I have cheered on the tigers for football and basketball seasons for the last three years. I am a Biology major and my dream job is to become a pediatric nurse. I will be going to nursing school after I graduate from DePauw.