6 Things You Need to Have for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

We’ve finally seen some chilly weather on campus, and you know what that means – it’s time to break out the coats and scarves. For those acclimated to warmer weather, staying warm can be a struggle both inside and outside. And even if you’ve dealt with winter weather your entire life, it’s never too late to make sure you own the basics. Here are six things you will need to brave the wind and (hopefully?) the snow.

1. Gloves: Do not lie to yourself and say that you’ll be able to keep your hands warm in your coat pockets. It will work until you need to carry something, you’re trying to get your ID out, or when the temperature drops below 30 degrees. A basic pair of gloves can be relatively cheap, and touch-screen gloves are pretty easy to find.
  2. Winter Coat: When temperatures go below freezing, this is absolutely necessary. Coats can lean toward the expensive side, but you can think of it as an investment–it’s probably going to fit for a long time, and winter in Indiana definitely requires something heavier than a jacket or sweatshirt.
  3. Boots: If you’ve ever stepped in the massive puddles that form at the corners of the sidewalks, you know that walking around with cold, wet feet all day is awful. Waterproof boots are especially helpful in rain, sleet, and deeper snow, but there are definitely other, more plush boots on the market. 
  4. Blankets: After a cold, uncomfortable day, there is nothing better than getting back to your room and burrowing under a pile of blankets. I enjoy wearing one over my shoulders when I do work at my desk. If you’re especially cold, pop it into the dryer for a few minutes and enjoy being a toasty blanket burrito.
  5. Hot chocolate: If you’ve already spent too much at Cafe Roy this semester, making hot chocolate in your microwave or Keurig is the way to go. It’s much faster and more convenient than hiking across campus to somewhere you can get a warm drink, and sometimes you just want to stay in and be cozy. Pair with marshmallows and a blanket for maximum comfort.
  6. Lip Balm: Cold weather can chap your lips, leaving them cracked and generally uncomfortable, if not painful. You can avoid this by moisturizing your lips with lip balms. Thankfully, they’re pretty cheap ($2-5), and you can buy them almost anywhere. 
Hi, I'm Ashley! I'm currently a senior at DePauw, where I'm majoring in Neuroscience and minoring in Psychology and Computer Science. I'm from Dayton, Ohio, and I love swimming, Marvel movies, and exploring the outdoors!