6 Easy Ways to Promote Self-Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
There are times in life when it is nearly impossible to love yourself and the best solution is to hide in bed and binge watch Netflix. I am here to tell you that no matter how many episodes of The Office you watch, nothing will get better until you decide to do something about it. Here are some small tips that I have found are guaranteed to promote self-love. 

1. Get rid of all social media. 

Social media is not an accurate representation of real life, and it influences and encourages negative thoughts. It doesn’t have to be permanent, but a short hiatus from Instagram can work wonders for a girl. Plus, you will find that you have much more time to read a book, listen to music or actually complete a DIY craft you found on Pinterest. 

2. Be selfish.

It is time that you focused on bettering yourself. You deserve to invest in yourself so you can be the best version of you. There is nothing more rewarding than waking up and realizing you love every aspect of life. 

3. Go to the gym.

Again, wallowing in bed will get you nowhere, and the benefits of working out are numerous. Not only are you doing something for your physical health, but you will feel much better afterwards and will be one step closer to feeling confident about your body. 

4. Volunteer.

Volunteering is good for the soul. Not only will you be helping others and have something else to add to your resume, but you will gain a sense of worth and accomplishment. 

5. Keep a journal.

You don’t have to necessarily write every detail of your day down, but it’s a great way to reflect. You can journal about all the great things that happen to you or keep a list of motivational quotes. The possibilities are endless. 

6. Surround yourself with people that love and care about you. 

This is the greatest piece of advice I can give. It is hard to love yourself, but when you have amazing friends who love every aspect of you, it gets a little easier.
Lover of gluten-free pizza, Andrew Luck, animals, fuzzy blankets, and anything that sparkles
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.