5 Ways to Avoid the Flu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

1. Avoid close contact

The best way to catch the flu is from close contact with other people. With our flu outbreak, it is important to be cautious of the people around you and the germs that may be spreading. Keep hanging with your friends, but remember personal space!

2. Stay home when you’re sick

When you’re sick, we know you do not want to leave the house, and others do not want you to leave either. Take care of yourself by resting and drinking a lot of water. There is no better cure than fuzzy blankets and warm tea.

3. Cover your mouth and nose

Another good tactic to help contain your sickness and avoid infecting others is covering your mouth when sneezing or coughing. It is important to not spread your germs and for others to do the same for you. This flu is no joke!

4. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth

If you have not been able to wash your hands and have been spending a lot of time in a public place, avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth where germs like to spread most. These are the most important areas to protect in order to avoid the flu.

5. Clean your hands

WASH WASH WASH your hands! This is the most important step. Keep washing your hands to clean away the germs! This step can protect you the most from the growing flu.

No need become a germophobe, just be careful! Let’s avoid this flu together! 

Freshman at Depauw University.