5 Speeches Given by Female Role Models to Empower Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I love listening to speeches. More specifically, I love listening to speeches that are important and meaningful to me. There are numerous female celebrities that dedicate themselves to empowering women and work tirelessly to show us that we can do anything that we put our minds to. Below I have five examples of speeches that will hit you in the right place in the heart, mind, and body!

1.      Angelina Jolie: The Issue of Sexual Violence

Angelina is a humanitarian activist, and in 2015 she gave a speech in South Africa about the issue of gender violence. In her moving speech, she says violence against women is a global epidemic and needs to be resolved by the partnership and efforts of both men and women. I could not tear my eyes away from the screen. You must watch this speech!

2.     Emma Watson: Feminism

Emma Watson is well known for being a feminist activist and constantly fighting for women’s rights. I have a special place in my heart for Emma Watson, as she is not only inspiring but she also never stops speaking for what she believes in. During this speech, she talked about feminism and gender inequality. I highly recommend checking it out.

3.     Lupita Nyong’o: Black Beauty

Before learning about this speech, I did not know much about Lupita. Honestly, I wish I had the pleasure of meeting her. Racism is a prevalent problem in the U.S., and Lupita talks about the honor of who she is and where she came from. It was because of her that a fan stopped trying to lighten her skin and started to be proud of who she is. This speech went straight to my heart; I found it to be so empowering and I hope you will too.

4.     Victoria Beckham: Making a Difference to the Women of the World

Victoria Beckham is truly beautiful inside and out. She speaks out for all women in the world and believes that we can make a difference. She graciously uses her spotlight to speak about important issues and give a voice to women who have remained unheard. I have nothing but respect for this woman.

5.     Reese Witherspoon: Female Ambition

When I think about Reese Witherspoon, the first thing that comes to mind is Legally Blonde, which isn’t a bad thing! Elle Woods is very influential if you ask me, but Reese is so much more than that. She saw something, did not like it, and made a change. In this speech, she talks about how females should be ambitious and how we can accomplish anything we put our minds to! Not only is this speech compelling, but it is also funny! Please check it out! 

Freshman at Depauw University.