10 Songs for Female Empowerment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Messages of female empowerment tend to get lost in our pop culture, and all we tend to see and hear are male dominated messages. This is especially true in music, where women are portrayed as sexual objects and prizes to be won. Even female singers tend to have male centered lyrics: while heartbreak is real, and sometimes “the guy” does get away, not enough light is shed on the strong, courageous women who are imperfect, yet victorious. With all of this in mind, I have made an effort to listen to music that not only lifts my mood, but that reminds me of how strong I truly am. Here’s the list of songs I’ve come up with. These are the songs I jam out to before heading out in the mornings; a list of songs for you to sing your heart out to and remember you are a beautiful bad a**!

1) Grown Woman – Beyonce

Need a reminder that you need no one’s approval? Queen B provides just that: “I’m a grown woman, I can do whatever I want.” Beyonce encourages us to become the women we desire to be: independent and fierce!

2) Be Alright – Kehlani

This song is all about being a real woman: one that falls down at times and has no problem with not feeling her best all the time. Kehlani shares something that’s not talked about among women very often, and that is the fact that our power comes from our ability to get up when we feel beaten down.

3) Hold On – Wilson Phillips

This is certainly an oldie but a goodie! My mom showed me this song when I was very young, and it has stuck with me ever since. This trio sings of how we can “hold on” when others try to knock us down or make us feel less. Turn your back on anyone who can’t handle your independent spirit with this catchy song!  

4) Fighter – Christina Aguilera

This song makes me feel that I can conquer anything (it really does!). Christina teaches us how we can blossom in spite of bad people in our lives; not only can we survive, but we can become stronger women because of it.

5) I Didn’t Know My Own Strength – Whitney Houston

Whitney’s beautiful ballad is retrospective in a tear-jerking sort of way. Leave it to Whitney to share a sad moment and turn it into a life lesson. This song is perfect to get into your feels, and after you’re done singing, you will remember that your power extends beyond the imaginable.   

6) Alive – Kehlani

Kehlani brings a light and upbeat mood with this song. Her story telling is vivid, but it’s the song’s chorus that will make you light up instantly. Kehlani sheds the people who no longer help her grow and ends up singing “Damn I feel alive!”

7) Warrior – Demi Lovato

This is one of the most vulnerable songs I know. Demi has been through so much and she doesn’t hold back. Instead, she imparts onto us her newfound wisdom: we are warriors! “So ashamed, so confused. I was broken and bruised. Now I’m a warrior. Now I’ve got thicker skin.” I think Demi said it all!

8) Sex With Me – Rihanna

This song’s purpose is simply: get a little cocky, because you are amazing (so why not flaunt it a little bit.). This song is claiming sexuality back for women, which is something long overdue! When I was thinking of whether or not to include this song,  “You know I got the sauce, you know I’m saucy,” sold it completely.

9) Feeling Myself – Nicki Minaj ft. Beyonce

Go ahead, feel yourself! I don’t think women give themselves enough permission to feel good about themselves. Nicki and B are definitely a power couple, who despite having their own men, know you don’t need a guy to feel like a queen.

10) Flawless – Beyonce

Of course I had to end this list the right way! Beyonce is all things female empowerment, and this song is no exception. Women are beautiful inside and out, and it’s time we stop conforming to society’s restrictive norms. Let’s make our own rules ladies!

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.