Your Guide to Becoming the Ultimate Plant Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Now that the calendar says it is officially spring, all I want to do is fill my apartment with lush, green plants and pretend I live in the rainforest. Since talk is cheap, I’ve decided that’s exactly what I’m going to do. I’ve never had much of a green thumb, but I’m determined to make this a reality. So if you want to muddle through this endeavor with me, here are some of the tips I’ve collected through my own research.

Start small, start easy

Eventually, I want to have rooms overflowing with greenery, but that can be overwhelming if done right away, especially if you’re new to the plant mom life like I am. So start with one, maybe two, smaller plants – ones that are simple to take care of. There are so many articles online that will tell you what plants are the hardest to kill. Pick one and see how it goes. For me, I plan to get either an aloe plant, a peace lily, or a ZZ plant, because I have seen these mentioned several times as easy, low-maintenance plants.

Become an expert

With the birth of a child or the adoption of a pet, it’s generally best to do some research beforehand to ensure that they are properly taken care of. So, why should buying a plant be any different? If you truly want to become the loving plant parent I know you’re capable of being, you’re going to have to learn a little something about your plant baby. Make sure you know how often it needs to be watered, the amount of sunlight it needs, and if it requires a unique soil.

Commit

If you are as serious about this endeavor as I am, then a little dedication is needed. Being a good plant mom is not like buying a bouquet of flowers – the plants are not supposed to be ignored until they die. So give your plant a little love and check in with it on a daily/weekly basis. Get to know its leaves and soil so that you are able to tell when it’s healthy and when it needs a little bit more care.

Remember this might be trial and error

As with being a parent of any living creature, there is bound to be a lot of trial and error. You might very well kill the first plant you get, even though you are absolutely sure that you did everything right. That’s okay. Remember that most plants are salvageable even when they look like a lost cause. So be patient with yourself and your new plant.

Taking on a new responsibility can be scary, exciting, and frustrating, but I believe in you. So, congrats on your leafy baby, and if all goes well, maybe start a blog or hit me up so I can know what I’m doing wrong!

Bailley is a PR & Advertising major from the great state of Minnesota and will remind you every chance she gets. She is a self-proclaimed doughnut enthusiast, an avid reader, and a fan of witty comedy. You can catch Bailley caffeinating the world as a barista or desperately applying for copywriting internships.