This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

The meaning and impact can often be lost when everyday seems to be a different “National Day” celebrating a variety of foods, drinks, and actions. There’s even a phone application dedicated to telling you what should be celebrated on each day. Typically, there are multiple things to recognize on any given day, which can come off as commercialized and too promotional. However, one day and specifically one month should not go unnoticed.

March is Women’s History Month and is an opportunity to celebrate the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women globally. It was towards the end of the 2nd wave of the feminism movement in the 1980s when the week of March 8th was declared National Women’s History Week by President Carter. Initially, a state by state lobbying effort that began in 1986 eventually lead to becoming a national month recognizing and honoring the achievements of women.

According to National Women’s History Project, “History helps us learn who we are, but when we don’t know our own history, our power and dreams are immediately diminished.” For many years women were unable to write or have a voice in their history, so having a month to truly celebrate women’s achievements in all facets can inspire girls for the future. Bringing to light the positive female activists, educators, writers, athletes, scientists, and students, can then create positive role models in other women’s lives.

It is important for everyone to be knowledgeable of women’s history and understand how female figures have helped shape society today. More women are now taking higher level roles in technology, business, and education. Currently, DePaul University has a student body that is 53% female. There are also countless organizations at DePaul that support female empowerment and encourage women to be leaders and get involved. For example there are seven multicultural sororities, eight Panhellenic sororities, one all-female acapella group, club sport teams, an all-women’s health/fitness club, one mental health organization founded by women, and many more. In addition, if someone feels fluid with their gender, there is a Center for Identity, Inclusion and Social Change that can help you find what organization is the best fit for you.

DePaul is a community that strives to give people platforms to be future leaders and speak their minds. It takes one person to pave the way and be a role model for generations to follow. Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton helped form and lead the National Woman Suffrage Association, Lucille Ball was the first woman CEO of a major television and movie production company, and who knows what trailblazing women will come from DePaul. Perhaps you will be sitting next to a potential activist in your Peace, Justice and Conflict Studies class or entrepreneur in your Management night class. 

I am currently a junior at DePaul University. I'm originally from the northern suburbs of Chicago. When I am not busy being a full-time college student or blogging I enjoy working out, exploring the city, and attempting to catch up on my sleep. My favorite thing to do in Chicago is to attend Cubs Games.