Why Switching Dorms Isn’t As Hard As You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Every freshman has an excited vision of how they’ll like their roommate, suitemates, and their dorm in general. This is usually a positive expectation that gets fulfilled, but for me, it took more than one try. In the following paragraphs, I will explore what it was like for me to switch dorms – or what I consider to be – one of the best decisions I ever made.    

I tried so hard guys, I swear. When I first got my housing assignment weeks before the school year began, like any smart girl, I immediately Facebook stalked to the best of my ability and sent friend requests and messages introducing myself. Unfortunately, our friendship never went much further than a blue check mark next to our internet profiles. As the weeks passed, I soon realized that the opposites in my dorm room would never attract. Arguments ensued, RAs were called, and doors were slammed. By the end of fall quarter, I had had enough, so I figured out who my RD was, paid him a visit, and put my faith in the good people at housing services so they could switch me out to someplace else. For many, embarking on such a process might sound pretty intimidating. Here’s why you shouldn’t worry:

1. You are not in trouble if you want to switch. 

When I stepped into his office and explained who I was and why I came, I did not get yelled at. I was not told that I was lying or that I should just suck it up. I was not treated like a nuisance. That’s how my sophomoric, cold hearted suitemates treated me. That was not going to happen anymore. I was asked whether I had visited my RA, which I did, and around how many times I did so. I was treated kindly and with respect. I was in no disciplinary trouble for wanting a switch. One asks the RD to switch dorms in order to start over again, not to necessarily bring up their faults of yester-quarter and get punished.  

2.  Making you comfortable is their job. 

The paperwork dictates you to choose which resident halls you consent to be switched into. If you do not check a building on the form, they will not put you there. Also, the paperwork itself is not too extensive and the whole processs is pretty short and sweet. 

3. You do not need to tell your bad roommate, suitemate, or neighbor that you’re moving.

You do not need your suitemates’ signatures, knowledge, or permission to leave them. It may be polite to say something a few days beforehand, especially if they are getting a replacement, but you are perfectly entitled to not say a word. I personally was in a converted triplet (a room meant for 2 that has 3 students), so they would not get anyone new. However, even if I wasn’t, I am pretty sure I still would not have said a thing until the morning of. Moreover, when confirmation that you have been reassigned does come through, it will arrive as an email. They will not know unless you show them your phone screen. It is also sent via snail mail underneath your door, but it will not say “Housing reassignment” on the envelope, so your secret is safe. 

4. You deserve sleep, personal space, and everything that goes along with being comfortable in your residence hall. 

You should feel safe and happy in your own room. You do not pay money every quarter to have angry doors slammed in your face in the early hours of the morning. You deserve a quiet space to study and do your homework in. You deserve personal space. You do not deserve an aggressive, hostile living situation.   
Take care, DePaul.    

Marta Leshyk

DePaul '20

Aspiring high school English teacher who hopes to help students learn to love and value themselves the way an old friend once helped her. Loves cats immensely, and enjoys iced coffee in the dead of winter. Is the proud daughter of immigrants, and learned English from Elmo, the ultimate PBS scholar.