Culture > News

Sexually Based Offenses Should Always Be Considered Especially Heinous

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Editor’s Note: This is an opinion article. Opinions expressed therein do not necessarily reflect those of Her Campus or Her Campus DePaul. We welcome agreeing and opposing views. If you wish to write a response article or any sort of opinion artice, please email depaul@hercampus.com 

Last January, a young woman collapsed post attending a college party. She did not collapse on her sofa, kick off her shoes, and call it a night. Her sister was not able to check on her now and then and possibly offer a glass of water. She could not grab a blanket, tuck her in, and wish her sibling a good night’s rest. She collapsed on her way home, and was found by a (former) Stanford freshman. Instead of helping her get home, he helped himself to the body of an unresponsive woman. One that could not say yes or no, one that could not fight back, one that could not scream, one that quite possibly would never know what happened to her. 

Fortunately, two graduate students found out and rescued his victim. Later, in the hospital, so did she, the doctors, and the police. Within a few months’ time, so did a judge and jury, along with the rest of the world. The story of how this former student athlete defiled an unresponsive woman and her loved ones with his great ignorance and incapacity to care about her wellbeing went viral.  Here are some crucial points to keep in mind as this story unfolds:

1. The appropriate title for this man must have “former” in front of “student”, “Stanford student”, and “student athlete”.

Why? Because he is a disgrace to all three and any other combination you can think of. Stanford is an amazing school with amazing students, both academically and athletically. This rapist was discovered to not to possess humanity along with these traits, and it is a dishonor to all to continue to attach other student’s accomplishments with this dirt bag.

2. There are and will be imbeciles who will try to defend his heinous deeds and horrid lack of character.

I urge you not to think too much of them, and that there are plenty who are furious just like you that someone would try to cut the fiend some slack. Please try your very best to take your anger and transform it into something positive, like the woman who rewrote the father of the rapist’s plea for leniency. Be courageous, be strong. Voice your thoughts on this low life and do not permit anyone to make you feel less of a human.

3. Remember that rape is an inexcusable offense, and that there are no ifs, ands, or buts.

Throughout the United States and many other parts of the world, rape culture works to pollute minds into thinking of ridiculous excuses and defenses for these disgusting criminals by saying their victims “were asking for it”. Nobody chooses to strut around with a sign on their backs that reads “please sexually assault me”. Nobody asks to be raped, harassed, beaten, or abused.

Marta Leshyk

DePaul '20

Aspiring high school English teacher who hopes to help students learn to love and value themselves the way an old friend once helped her. Loves cats immensely, and enjoys iced coffee in the dead of winter. Is the proud daughter of immigrants, and learned English from Elmo, the ultimate PBS scholar.