Ryan Adams’s 1989

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Ryan Adams is not a common word that rolls of the tongue of Swifties, but it has held its place in their world as of recently. Adams just released an entire cover album of Taylor Swift’s 1989. While this may seem like a dicey move for an artist to make, Adams has established himself already and pretty much does whatever he would like. Very rarely has someone in the industry not heard of him – and for very good reason. Adams’ spin on Swift’s hit album transforms the album into something entirely different, which is the perfect way to conquer such an endeavor.

By making the album his own, taking liberties with the style and the music, he created an album that both his fans as well as Swift’s fans can appreciate. It is very unlikely that someone will hear the album and disagree with the fact that Adams did Swift’s lyrics justice. The album, much like traditional Ryan Adams work, is very musical. The songs include a wide array of musical instruments – from a killer bass backbeat, to chiming bells, to a simple acoustic guitar, to the simple echoing of vocals, each song tells its own story. Adams has a way of crafting the song in a way that causes the listener to fall into a trap of their own personal emotional journey with every song. He takes a fun anthem such as “Shake It Off” and turns it into an anthem of one’s own emotional journey towards self confidence in a way that resonates with anyone who has ever felt bullied or belittled. And while Swift arguably does the same with her version, Adams haunting rendition of the hit strikes a different chord of the listener.

Adams overall turned this pop album into an alternative, chill, groovy album. This album is perfect for a relaxation jam after a good session of yoga. Or a soundtrack to those nights where you just need an excuse to curl up, cry, and eat chocolate.

Whether you’re a Taylor Swift fan or not, this album is a must check out. Adams use of musicality and his personal flare that he puts into every beat of every song created a masterpiece out of what already was. Adams takes Swift’s lyrics and shows the world that despite her being a female pop star, her lyrics are very complex, deep, and emotional. Adams covers of her work exposes her talents just as much as it does his.

Ryan Adam’s cover album of 1989 is available on Spotify, iTunes, and Amazon.

Michelle is a third year Secondary Education English student at DePaul University that enjoys sarcasm, laughing at cats on the internet, and forgetting to wear her glasses to class.