Is the National Reaction to Betsy DeVos Sexist?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

From the very beginning of Trump’s presidency, there has been objection to many of his cabinet picks. However, no one has received louder objections or stronger opposition than Trump’s pick for Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos.

Why?

I will be the first to say that I do not believe DeVos should be in charge of our country’s education. It is obvious that she lacks the experience, knowledge, and support needed to do her job well. I do not believe that people are wrong in opposing her nomination, but where is the opposition to her male counterparts?

Is she any different than his other cabinet picks?

The majority of Trump’s nominees lack any experience in government or the departments of which they would be in charge. Only a handful of the nominees have any experience in government, and on average, less than 10 years. Many of his nominees, like DeVos, are CEOs of major corporations and/or are considered part of the 1%.

So why is DeVos’ lack of experience outshining the rest?

Is it because she is only one of two women nominated for one of the 15 cabinet positions?

Why is she the only one being portrayed as an incompetent airhead?

Why are the men not being held to the same standard?

I can’t answer these questions, and it is hard to say whether or not her gender has played any role in the nation’s perception of her. However, the lack of female representation, and the sexism projected onto Hillary Clinton during her presidential campaign, demands us to address sexism in politics and ask ourselves these questions.

Bailley is a PR & Advertising major from the great state of Minnesota and will remind you every chance she gets. She is a self-proclaimed doughnut enthusiast, an avid reader, and a fan of witty comedy. You can catch Bailley caffeinating the world as a barista or desperately applying for copywriting internships.