A Letter to My High School Friends, as Told by the Cast of Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

So our first year of college is coming to an end and I know we all can’t wait for summer. I am so excited for the chance to see you all again and spend some much needed time reconnecting. This year has been a big one for all of us, of course, and we’ve all been so busy. We’ve grown apart in this last year as demanding classes, clubs, and new friends have taken over our time. I never thought it possible, but it has become normal for us to go weeks without speaking. There are times where I miss the simple days of high school and getting to see you every day – there are times when I miss you.

I remember, in the first few months of college, wanting so badly to just be with you all again, because you felt like home and my dorm didn’t. I was trying to make friends, but I struggled with that new and slightly awkward stage of friendships, because it was, well, awkward. I missed the ease and comfortability of our relationship. I missed the sass, inappropriate jokes, and sarcasm that always accompanied our time together. I still miss all of that because I’m never going to find friends quite like you.

I miss the ease and comfortability even more now as I realize that we’ve all changed. We’ve all had so many new and awesome experiences this year, but we’ve experienced them on our own or with our new friends. We no longer know everything that is going on in each other’s lives. We no longer know everything about each other. I can tell by the way our conversations often feel forced or end too quickly that there’s a new uncertainty to our friendships.

And that’s okay. It’s natural.

Even though we will continue to go to different schools and our friendship will take a little more effort to sustain, I know that we will be okay. You’ve all been there for me for the majority of my life and I am so grateful to still have you all in my life. I wouldn’t have survived high school without you, and I wouldn’t have survived my first year of college without knowing that you would all be there for me if I needed you.

I got so lucky with all of you, and I’m counting down the days until summer.

Love ya and see ya soon!

Bailley is a PR & Advertising major from the great state of Minnesota and will remind you every chance she gets. She is a self-proclaimed doughnut enthusiast, an avid reader, and a fan of witty comedy. You can catch Bailley caffeinating the world as a barista or desperately applying for copywriting internships.