Jessie Crawford – ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.
Jessie Crawford is a founding member of the DePaul University club InterChorus. She’s very knowledgeable about anything music related, and on any given day, you’re bound to casually bump into her at the Ray. Read on to learn more about how you can become friends with this DePaul celeb! 

Year In School: Senior

Activities Involved In: InterChorus, Building Manager at the Ray

How did you become interested in music: I’ve always loved music! But if I had to pin point a specific time, it would have to be the countless rides in my mom’s red mini van where she insisted we listen to “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat” like…. 67 times in a row.

What made you want to start InterChorus: After I didn’t get into DWaC sophomore year, I was pretty bummed, but then I realized that there were probably a lot of other kids that didn’t get into those groups as well — so I figured I’d reach out to fellow musicians and see if anyone was interested in starting a men and women’s a cappella group!

How has being involved with InterChorus affected your time at DePaul: InterChorus has given me a family. It’s wonderful that we get to perform and mess around with music, but it’s the connections and friendships that have made it all worth it. I’m really weird and they’re all equally as weird, so it works out quite nicely.

What is your favorite song you’ve performed: My favorite song we’ve performed is “Will You Be There?” by Michael Jackson. First off, that song JAMS, and secondly, it has this awesome gospel vibe at the end…… and we kind of sound bananas singing it. 

Do you have any special musical talents?: Oh god….. am I supposed to?! I mean, I can sing! I tried to beat box once, but I almost passed out. 

Do you have any advice for anyone looking to get more involved in music?: Just do it. Figure out a way. Sing in the shower, join a local choir, pull a Jessie Crawford and buy a ukulele. As long as you have an instrument, voice included, you can be involved. 

Is your singing a side gig, or are you hoping to make it big: In a perfect world, I’d clearly be down with gyrating next to Beyonce at the Super Bowl, but for now, it’s just for fun.

What makes you a campus celebrity?: Wow, I feel so famous! I wouldn’t say that I’m a celebrity by any means, but I always take the time to be friendly with people on campus. Also, I have super famous friends, so they let me ride on their coat tails. 

Where are you most likely to be spotted on campus?: The gym. And not in the cool “I just lifted a million pounds of weights and ran three miles” kind of way. I just work there. Too much. Come say hi. I’ll be the one with the walkie talkie.
Ellyse is the Founding President and Editor-in-Chief of the DePaul University branch of Her Campus. She is currently a senior studying Public Relations and Advertising. Ellyse is originally from the Chicago suburbs and loves spending her college career enjoying all that the city has to offer. In addition to Her Campus, Ellyse is also a member of Delta Gamma. She hopes to one day work in either public relations or event planning and to one day own her own business. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, spending time with friends, catching up on blogs, quoting movies like it’s her job, pinning for hours and working out.