This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Throughout the past two weeks we’ve seen lots of love for women but also a lot of hate has been thrown out towards them as well. Between the Women’s March on Washington and also just marches in general around the globe, you had people saying vulgar things about females because they were marching for “stupid reasons” or because they are being too feminist. I watched as my social media timelines flooded with hate statuses and tweets about why they don’t agree with the actions being spread across the globe by women (and men) who are fighting for women’s rights and equality.

I’ve always been one of those people who doesn’t like to get involved in Facebook arguments. I’m the type to sit from afar and either laugh at them for making such a big problem out of things or silently nodding my head and agreeing with people who are saying out loud what I wish I could say.

Up until a few days ago thats the type of person I was….

And then as I was making my usual rounds through the land of social media I came across a photo someone had shared of menstrual pads taped to a wall in Washington D.C. about how proud they are to be women and other words along those lines. But someone said in a comment below the photo that these people and what they are doing are “an embarrassment to women.” Others chimed in and said that this was ridiculous as were their signs and the march in general. 

You should never be embarrassed to be a women; you can’t let menstrual pads and marches for women’s equality make you so mortified.

I’ve taken a step back and have looked at their side of “being embarrassed” and why they might be, but that side also needs to take a step back and look at the facts of just how unequal it is to be a woman today.

I am proud.

Proud of these women (and men) for marching for equal rights.

Proud they were not afraid to hang menstrual pads on the walls.

I am not embarrassed.

I am proud to be a woman.

*Thank you to all women and men who marched for womens equality; special thanks to Maggie McMillian for “The Future is Female” photo

Public Relations student at DePaul University in Chicago. Minnesota grown. President of DePaul University Love Your Melon Campus Crew "I'm proud of the person I've become, because I fought to become her." Twitter & Instagram: @whitneywahlers