andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Make the Most of Your Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

If there is of one thing I’m certain, it is that every college student should study abroad at least once. I have participated in two short-term study abroad trips in my time here at DePaul University, and they have been two of the best times in my life. In both instances, I felt a shift, a change in who I am as a person and how I view the world. In each of those times abroad, there are a few things I’ve learned to help make the most of the experience.

1. Bond with your fellow students

Photo by Jill Sterman, Courtesy of Bailley Leppert, Location: Dublin, Ireland

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, those trips would not have been as wonderful as they were if not for the people I was with. Making the effort to get to know the other students in your program will make all the difference in the overall enjoyment of your time abroad. Granted, you aren’t going to like every single person and that is okay, but the friends you make on that trip are going to be friends you have forever. You will bond in a way that only comes from navigating a foreign country together. Trust me.

2. Say yes

Photo by Jeremy Bishop on Unsplash

If you are an introvert like me, there are going to be moments when the last thing you want to do is go out on the town. Even if you aren’t an introvert, you are going to get tired, or nervous, or simply lazy. That is okay, but I implore you to say yes more than you say no. Even if you are going to be in a country for a few months, time does in fact flies, so say yes. Stay out all night even if you have class the next morning, travel to a different city over the weekend even if you’re feeling tired and lazy. You’ll only regret the things you didn’t do.

3. Budget, budget, budget

Courtesy of Bailley Leppert, Location: Italy

You will be spending a lot of money while you’re abroad. Being in another country warrants the desire to try every single food item you see, buy every cute souvenir, and see every attraction you hear about. And you should. You absolutely should do all of that, just plan for it. Decide how much money you can afford to spend while abroad and budget out how much will be spent on food, sightseeing, and shopping.

4. Document everything

Photo by Sylwia Bartyzel on Unsplash

When you get back to the U.S., you are going to say things like, “That is a time I will never forget!” But you will. The details will get fuzzy and certain experiences will slip from your mind. So document it all. Be that annoying tourist that takes pictures everywhere you go. Seriously. You will be glad that you did. Journal every day about how you are feeling, what you did, and who you met. Make sure to take the time to truly experience the places you go, but also take a few extra minutes to get that totally-instagramable shot and keep track of the memories.

5. Talk to people

Courtesy of Bailley Leppert, Location: Assisi, Italy

Some of the most memorable experiences that I had during both of my times abroad were the interactions I had with the locals. From the store owner whose shop I went to almost every day in Assisi, to the friendly man at a pub in Ireland, interacting with the people who know that country best is how to truly make the most of your study abroad.

For those of you preparing for studying abroad this summer or next fall, congratulations in advance for what will become the best time of your life. Keep your eyes, your ears, and your hearts open. It will truly change you.

If you haven’t explored the study abroad options at DePaul and would like to, all information you need can be found at this website: DePaul Study Abroad

SaveSave

Bailley is a PR & Advertising major from the great state of Minnesota and will remind you every chance she gets. She is a self-proclaimed doughnut enthusiast, an avid reader, and a fan of witty comedy. You can catch Bailley caffeinating the world as a barista or desperately applying for copywriting internships.