burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Dress in Changing Weather Patterns

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.
May is finally here, DePaul, and it is HOT! Weather is always fluctuating in Chicago, but it’s especially unpredictable in May. It should be warm, but then it’s 45 degrees. The weather says rain all day, but the sun never seems to go away. Dressing for the unexpected can be challenging, and running around campus with a jacket and umbrella is obnoxious. Here are a few tips for dressing for the unexpected May weather and taking care of yourself as we move through the end of spring to the beginning of summer.

1. Layer

If you are unsure about the weather, layering is ALWAYS a safe option. The weather calls for 50 degrees in the morning, but 65 and sunny when you get out of class. How are you supposed to dress? The key is layering with pieces that won’t make you overheat, after all it’s not negative 15 degrees anymore, and the sun alone can make you so hot so fast. Wear cotton tank tops that are flowy and breathable so the wind can cool you down. Opt for a chambray shirt over top the tank, and finish with a knit cardigan. These three layers are easily removable, but still cute, and will you keep warm enough should the wind decide to pick up. You can vary this look by wearing a v neck t-shirt with a cardigan and denim jacket on top. Whatever pieces you like from your closet will do, so long as they are breathable and easily removable. I suggest three pieces on top to allow for a range of different temperatures. 

2. Rain Boots

Let’s face it, during the springtime there are always puddles around. Your feet are going to end up soaking wet at some point this spring. I suggest finding a cute pair of rain boots that are obviously water proof, but don’t necessarily scream rain boots. I have a pair of Chelsea rain boots from J. Crew that I purchased for $50 last fall. I get so many compliments whenever I wear them, and half the time no one even knows I’m wearing rain boots. I highly suggest finding an inexpensive pair of rain boots that you’re either comfortable wearing with any outfit, or that doesn’t even look like a pair of rain boots. If there is any sliver of a chance it might rain, you’re protected, and no one will even know.

3. Sunglasses, Hats, Scarves

Accessories are key for spring. As the sun gets stronger, it’s important to protect yourself from the UV rays (they’re more harmful than you think!). Always carry a pair of sunglasses with you to shield your eyes. Sunglasses always add a sense of glamour to any outfit, and they’re perfect for hiding those under-eye circles. Hats will also protect your skin and scalp from the harmful sun, not to mention they keep your head nice and warm during those chilly mornings. Floppy hats are always cute, fedoras, panama hats, or even baseball caps add a fun element to an otherwise boring outfit. Scarves of course are essential to staying warm, trade your chunk knit scarf from winter for an airy cotton or silk scarf that will still keep you warm and on trend for spring. 

4. Makeup

I always suggest lightening up your makeup for spring and summer. Those hot days can cause you to sweat uncontrollably and sweat plus makeup can lead to some bad breakouts. Let your skin breathe by changing your liquid foundation to a BB cream. Trade burgundy and plum lipsticks for bright pinks and peachy colors to lighten up your look. 

5. Health

As ALWAYS to feel your best you have to take care of your body! Wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30. You will thank yourself when you are 50! Massage sunblock very well into your face, neck, hands, and feet-these body parts are more prone to wrinkling and melanoma.

Drink plenty of water. Carry a reusable water bottle around with you at all times of the day. Hydration is key to feeling good about yourself. Water flushes out toxins, regulates your metabolism, and helps headaches and stomach aches. If you have trouble drinking lots of water, throw in some fresh fruit to liven up your drink. 

Exercise! Exercising helps relieve stress and it releases chemicals in your body that help you feel good about yourself. Skip the gym, and go for a long walk along the Lake, or rent some Divvy bikes with your friends. The Lincoln Park campus is only a few blocks from Lake Michigan-take advantage!

Shower nightly to remove dirt and pollen collected throughout the day. Allergies can be horrible in the spring, and showering at night will help clean off that pollen you collected throughout the day. Try an exfoliator in the shower to remove dead winter skin. Exfoliators can be as simple as combining one part olive oil to two parts sea salt. Scrub your skin, and wash away-fresh spring skin is simple. Exfoliating is essential to self-tanning, so if you want a bronze glow opt for an exfoliation sesh before yourself tan application, and you’ll be good to go.

Try to enjoy the unpredictable weather, and look cute doing it, and never forget to take care of yourself to feel your best this May!
Michelle is a third year Secondary Education English student at DePaul University that enjoys sarcasm, laughing at cats on the internet, and forgetting to wear her glasses to class.