The Highs and Lows of Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

It is 2014 and social media has taken over the world. A hashtag is the hottest form of advertisement and videos that are six seconds or less are creating national celebrities. So what are the best forms of social networking sites and more importantly, what is the correct etiquette when using them? Here are the top four sites and apps ranked from best to worst.

1. Twitter. It is clear that Twitter is the clear winner here. Where else can regular people look into the lives of celebrities, read current news from all over the world, and watch a gif of a puppy chasing its tail? This site lets people to use hashtags, a pound symbol to identify different topics, which can vary from what’s trending to the classic ones, such as, #firstworldproblems. Anyone can tweet, whether it be a joke or about your favorite television show.

The important things to remember: Keep it to 140 characters or less and no subtweeting.

2. Facebook. Yes, Facebook is in a close second place. As Twitter is rapidly becoming more popular, Facebook is slowly losing its fan base. However, it is still wildly popular, and has changed the way people network on the Internet. Facebook has become a place where mostly parents, aunts, and even grandparents have taken over. It is an easy website to use, and a great way to keep in touch with old friends. There has been no real changes or improvements to this site in recent years, other than an update here and there.

The important things to remember: Don’t be that person to comment on every single thing people post and no Catfishing!

3. Instagram. Instagram is an account where users can post pictures of whatever they choose. The best part of this application are the many filters the instagrammer choose from before posting their pic. The filters vary from Toaster to Inkwell. The monotony of sunsets, double rainbows, and selfies are the downfall of this app. Hashtags are popular here too. Instagram also allows videos to be posted as well.

The important things to remember: Double posting is a sin; triple posting is unforgivable.

4. Yik Yak. This application is an anonymous site where people can post whatever they want. Users can read the post and choose whether to give it an up or a down. If a “yak” gets -5 downs then it gets taken off the feed. The posts are sorted by location. It has become popular among college students across the nation. The mix between stressed students and the anonymity of Yik Yak is not a good combination. The Yaks can range from a multitude of topics that a typical teenager or early 20 year can think of. I recommend staying off this application if you want to continue to believe all college students do is go to class and watch Netflix.

The important things to remember: Anonymity doesn’t mean you have to be a jerk. Keep names and personal attacks out of it, or you’ll be downvoted into oblivion.

I am currently a junior at DePaul University. I'm originally from the northern suburbs of Chicago. When I am not busy being a full-time college student or blogging I enjoy working out, exploring the city, and attempting to catch up on my sleep. My favorite thing to do in Chicago is to attend Cubs Games.