This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

The Scandinavians have a word called “hygge” (hoo-ga) that doesn’t have a direct translation, but describes a feeling of coziness, intimacy, and appreciation. It is about slowing down and being present. This is a way of living that the Danish, in particular, have made habitual in order to enjoy the dark, cold, and lonely winters. It’s a term that has gained popularity in the last few years, and I would like to share it with you. Here are the tips and tricks for achieving this delightful state of being that will make winter not only bearable, but satisfying.

Warmth

Hygge is often simplified and translated to “cozy.” This is incorrect but still relevant. Coziness is essential to living in hygge. Blankets, candles, twinkling lights, hot tea and coffee ー these are all things that should make a daily occurance. When there are freezing temperatures outside, staying warm should not be a chore but a pleasurable experience. Nights should be spent wrapped up in plush fabrics and soft, glowing light. And when it is time to step out into the brisk winter air, the warmth should continue. The Norwegians have a saying that goes, “No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.” As long as you are properly dressed for the weather, there is no reason it has to be miserable. Plan ahead and wear your comfiest sweater, boots built for the snow, and mittens to cuddle your fingers.

Community

Hygge embodies the belief that happiness and contentedness is not a solitary activity. The key to truly enjoying this magical season is ignoring that urge to hibernate alone all winter. Now that Christmas has passed and we aren’t constantly surrounded by our family and friends, it is important to make the effort to be around others. Invite your friends over to snuggle and watch movies; plan an outing to go ice skating; go out to eat or stay home and have a dinner party. Whatever it is you do this winter, invite the people you love to join you.

Intention

Hygge is a state of mind and a way of living. It is being present. It is being intentional with your time, using it to do things that make you happy. So take advantage of this extra time indoors to develop some hobbies. Read that book you’ve been meaning to. Teach yourself how to knit. Take up yoga or meditation. Get outside and soak up as much vitamin D as you can. Find something to fill your time that will bring you peace.

Indulgence

Lastly, happiness does not happen in deprivation. The Scandinavians believe firmly in treating yourself to that flaky pastry you’ve been eyeing. Winter creates a desire for comfort food and they rarely fit into a healthy diet. Forgive yourself. Let yourself indulge. Invest in health, but invest in joy too. And I have always found cake to be filled to the hilt with joy.

Falling into the general consensus that winter is dreary and miserable can be easier than breathing. However, I will not be partaking this year. If you want to find me, I will be creating a blanket fort in my room and soaking up as much quiet stillness the winter has to offer.

Bailley is a PR & Advertising major from the great state of Minnesota and will remind you every chance she gets. She is a self-proclaimed doughnut enthusiast, an avid reader, and a fan of witty comedy. You can catch Bailley caffeinating the world as a barista or desperately applying for copywriting internships.