Emma Buckingham ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Emma Buckingham is a sophomore with a major in Marketing. She is the captain of the Love Your Melon crew at DePaul. Love Your Melon is an organization that donates hats and money to children battling cancer. For every hat purchased on their website, a hat is donated to a child with cancer. The Love Your Melon crew at DePaul works to promote Love Your Melon’s message, sell hats in order to help needy children, and participates in various fundraisers to help children with cancer.

What is Love Your Melon?Love Your Melon is a company whose mission is to put a hat on every child battling cancer through the sales of hats and apparel. As a campus crew, our job is to spread that mission throughout our university.

How did you hear about Love Your Melon?One of my friends was a part of the crew at their campus, and I saw DePaul didn’t have one [anymore].

What made you want to get involved with the program?I think it’s a really inspiring goal and to support people going through such hard experiences is rewarding.

What are some activities you’ve done or have planned for the future?We recently went to Chicago’s Ronald McDonald house. We did activities with the kids staying there and going through treatment at Luries Children’s hospital.

How can DePaul students support Love Your Melon?Join our club! We have a maximum of twenty people but have not reached that limit yet. If that is too much commitment, buy a hat. Chicago winters are harsh and wearing a LYM hat will get you and a local cancer patient through it. 

Hi! My name's Kim, and I am a current Marketing student. I'm the senior editor at HerCampus DePaul!