neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Brianna Lombardo ’09

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Brianna Lombardo is a DePaul alum and female powerhouse. She is currently an admissions counselor in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, a yoga connoisseur, and frequent blogger. Brianna radiates an energy that is both invigorating and contagious; be sure to read on to learn more about this incredible woman and role model. 

Name: Brianna Lombardo

Hometown: Melrose Park, IL

Degree: Organizational Communications, DePaul Class of 2009

Favorites:

Pizza: The Pizza House, Armand’s (no deep dish for this Italian!)

Clothing store: Lululemon, Crossroads, TJ Maxx, Nordstrom

Musician: alt-J, Aphex Twin, Moderat, Imogen Heap, Grimes, Helios, James Blake, Jonsi, Kye Kye, Lo-Fang, M83, Miike Snow, Olive, Purity Ring, Sia, The Smiths, Troye Sivan, Tycho, Washed Out, William Fitzsimmons

Book: The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, California, The Shopaholic Complete Series, anything by Haruki Murakami, Harry Potter (because duh)

Television Show: The Blacklist, Grey’s Anatomy, Madam Secretary, The Walking Dead

Movie: All of the Harry Potter movies, Love Actually, Elf, The Muppet Christmas Carol, My Fair Lady, Gone with the Wind, Troop Beverly Hills, anything that scares me senseless.

HC: What inspired you to come and work at DePaul following your graduation from here?

I needed a change of scenery from working retail. I had basically hit a point where I could either move to Texas working at headquarters, or I could see what else was out there. I applied to DePaul on a whim, but knew working for my alma mater would be a fun environment to switch into. I didn’t necessarily want to relive my college years, but I did want to tell other students just how much DePaul meant to me throughout my undergraduate years. I felt connected to all the innovating things happening on campus and wanted to be a part of it.

HC: Where on campus, aside from The Welcome Center, were your favorite places to hang out as an undergrad?

My friends and I had a gym and smoothie routine. We were also big fans of the quad in the fall and spring, and we had a pretty amazing group of us living on the 5th floor in Clifton so we spent a lot of time hanging in the dorms. The library was another favorite spot of ours, especially in the area with all the couches on the third floor. That place was the best for napping during finals week.

HC: Where in Chicago could you be found most frequently?

WORKING! I worked full-time all through college, so when I wasn’t in class I was most likely at Francesca’s Collection working 35-hour weeks. Now, you can find me at any of the CorePower Yoga studios or exploring neighborhoods all over Chicago with my boyfriend. I’m a huge foodie, so anytime I get to try a new restaurant, I jump at the opportunity. And when I’m not teaching yoga or stuffing my face with food, I’m writing for Elephant Journal or updating my blog, “The Happy Depressive”, in my pajamas at home with a huge cup of coffee next to me.

HC: What advice do you have to current female students here at DePaul?

Embrace YOU, even the “meh” parts, and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing. It took a long time for me to realize I was enough and deserving of so much more, but that hard work and risks are necessary to truly go after what you want. Don’t be afraid to do that and go against societal norms. The journey is your own, not anyone else’s. Be bold and be purposeful. Do things with fervor. And learn from all the “No’s” you will ultimately hear in life. It only makes the victory that much sweeter. And for the love of all that is covered in chocolate, HAVE PATIENCE. I’m still working on this, but seriously—all good and wonderful things take time. Don’t settle.

HC: What was the hardest obstacle you have had to overcome thus far in your life/career?

Feeling like I had to have it all figured out by the end of my college career. So much pressure is placed on younger generations to have the dream job and dream house and dream spouse and kids by the time we’re 30. Newsflash: it doesn’t happen for all of us and that’s 100% OK. My mom always encouraged me to try things and because of that, I fell in love with yoga and writing which are two career paths I am actively pursuing and trying to marry into one. I know what I love and that’s because I took the time to explore different avenues. The process has come from trying to fit everything neatly into one box or under one job description. What I’m finding is that I can be all of these things and it’s exciting to see where it all takes me. The point is, you’ll get to a point where things start to fall in place. I promise.

HC: Do you have a certain mantra that you repeat to yourself to keep you going when life gets tough?

“Be here now.” When I started my yoga teacher certification, my dear friend who was also one of our lead instructors repeated this over and over. It has stuck with me and I try to live by it.

By being present and in the now, we can fully appreciate the entire moment by shutting off our future to-do lists or that little voice that keeps us up at night repeating everything that must get done tomorrow. I meditate almost nightly and this is what I’m constantly saying to myself.

Brianna’s personal blog can be found here, and be sure to check out her featured blogs for The Elephant Journal as well!