Ashantis Jones, Executive Director of DemonTHON ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

About Ashantis Jones ’16

Name: Ashantis Jones

Age and year: 21 and Fourth Year (Graduating Senior)

Major: Theatre Management minors Business Management & Business Administration

Dream job: Unknown at the moment. I’ve been loving the event management industry, but I don’t know everything yet.

DPU Involvement: This year I’ve been active in Support Tomorrow’s Rising Stars, DePaul Activities Board, and Relay for Life. Previously I was a DePaul Ambassador through DePaul Admissions and an Orientation Leader. And, of course, DemonTHON.

Favorite Dance Marathon to visit: I love visiting the other Chicagoland Dance Marathons because we share a lot of the same families and we’re all fighting for the kids at Lurie Children’s.

Favorite way to raise money: Hmmm. I this one is tricky. I would have to say raiding my house for loose coins is always fun. During the Holidays I go through all of my mom’s purses, both of my parents’ cars, and I even beg my little brother to make a donation. It doesn’t bring in a ton of money, but it’s funny to see where the change gets lost!

The Q&A

How did you first get involved in DemonThon?

A friend of mine was participating through PRSSA and encouraged me to try something new. I love her everyday for it.

Tell us about your involvement in DemonThon from your first Dance Marathon to being a week away from the Big Event.

After I got hooked Freshman year, I started the first Theatre School team and won Team of the Year. Last year I was the Director of Entertainment and now I’m Exec!

Tell us more about your position as Executive Director.

Well as Exec it’s my job to essentially be the cheerleader for our Overall Committee and make sure everything is in order all the time. It’s a stressful job, but it’s incredibly rewarding.

What moment are you most excited for in DemonThon 2016?

All of it. I just want to take it all in since it’s the last time. If I had to pick one moment, it would be seeing the faces of our dancers as this becomes a passion for them. Seeing the smiles and joy this organization can bring to the families is incredible, but watching people find their place in the world, even if it’s just while they’re at DePaul… It’s worth everything.

What has been your favorite memory behind the scenes?

Miracles ‘Til Midnight. As I’m sure you’re aware, we reached our $48,000 goal this year, but it was tough. I called my mom around 10 in the hope that should would donate, but she was already asleep. A half hour later I received a huge donation from her. I didn’t stop crying that night.

What do you think you’ll miss the most after the Big Event?

There’s no way I could have ever imagined I’d be entering my last DM at DePaul in this incredible position. I mean that beyond being Executive Director; this organization has been my life line at DePaul and and I’m going to miss this misfit family.

What’s next for you?

Unknown at the moment. I have a couple of trips planned and I’m honestly excited to just finish Senior year.

Rapid Fire Round

Favorite TV show: One Tree Hill. I’m rewatching the series for the 5th time currently.

Favorite place to eat around Lincoln Park: Homeslice: I highly recommend the Clay Bacon with BBQ sauce on the side

Favorite movie: Mean Girls

Favorite rainy day activity: Netflix, Blankets, and Cocoa

Tori Meschino is a lot of things with a lot of majors. She's a macaroni and cheese lover, a sorority woman, obsessed with Michael J. Fox, a binge-watcher, an editor-in-chief, the HerCDM president, a woman in tech, and a writer. She majors in Interactive and Social Media and Media and Cinema Studies, and minors in General Psychology (and a minor in Never Graduating). So basically she's everywhere. Oh, and she's one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus DePaul!