7 Tips to Stay Focused for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.
It’s that time of year again…

But before you freak out, we are here to tell you exactly how to get all A’s! Well… we can’t promise you’ll get all A’s: these tips are going to help you understand Calculus or how atoms work, but they will help motivate you to figure it out.  

1. Find a quiet place.

When you need to focus it’s best to physically put yourself somewhere you won’t get distracted. We recommend somewhere quiet without much activity going on like the library or the 3rd floor of the Student Center.   

2. No phones.

There’s no need to explain, we are all guilty of checking our phones ‘quick’ and somehow ending up on Pinterest for 2 hours. A way to avoid this is by putting your phone on airplane mode, that way there is no possibility of getting distracted by a text or Snapchat. 

3. Set a schedule. 

Plan out your week and make To-Do lists each day. And be realistic: know how much you will probably be able to get done before you’ve had enough and plan accordingly.  

4. Tackle the hardest assignments first. 

It’s hard to go strong for 8 eight hours straight: our brain gets tired and we lose motivation. So start with the assignments that need the most concentration and work your way to easier ones. This will also give you something to look forward to instead of dread. 

5. Take breaks.

Who doesn’t love breaks? Your brain certainly does! Studies show you should take a 5-10 minute break for every hour of work. But make sure those breaks don’t turn into vacations. 

6. Listen to classical music. 

Music with words can be distracting so save that new Ariana Grande song for your break. The Intense Studying playlist on Spotify is great because it’s filled with classical pieces that keep a steady, motivating beat. 

7. Relax

Yes, relaxation is key to getting through finals. You need some time to unwind and give yourself a chance to recharge. So try to end your studying a little earlier and make some fun plans with your friends! And don’t get too stressed out, finals will be over before you know it.
Bailley is a PR & Advertising major from the great state of Minnesota and will remind you every chance she gets. She is a self-proclaimed doughnut enthusiast, an avid reader, and a fan of witty comedy. You can catch Bailley caffeinating the world as a barista or desperately applying for copywriting internships.
Michelle is a third year Secondary Education English student at DePaul University that enjoys sarcasm, laughing at cats on the internet, and forgetting to wear her glasses to class.