4 Things to Give Up for 40 Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.
The Christian Lenten season is upon us, which for a lot of people means giving up unhealthy food or watching TV for the forty days between Ash Wednesday (March 5th this year) and Easter (April 20th).

But you don’t have to be religious to give something bad up for Lent, and what you give up doesn’t have to be a physical thing.

1. Stop regretting. I’ll be the first to admit I’m not nice to myself. Who hasn’t called herself an idiot when she says the wrong thing to the wrong person, or does something she regrets? Well for the next 40 days, I’m going to admit that sometimes I don’t do things I like, but I can’t change the past.

2. Stop the gossip. It’s fun, but it’s toxic. You don’t have to like everyone all the time, but avoiding bringing them down behind their back will bring so much more positivity into your life. Flush the negativity out.

3. Make health a priority. I couldn’t tell you the last time I worked out at the Ray, but it was probably the first day of Fall Quarter. Getting back into the swing of things will probably make this eternal winter slightly less awful.

4. Make an effort. One of my biggest regrets this quarter is not making time for friends. Time is free, and we have the power to spend it any way we choose. We should choose to make other people’s happiness our priority.

It takes 28 days to break a habit, ladies, and the 40-day Lenten season is the perfect time to break a couple bad ones.

What are you giving up?
Tori Meschino is a lot of things with a lot of majors. She's a macaroni and cheese lover, a sorority woman, obsessed with Michael J. Fox, a binge-watcher, an editor-in-chief, the HerCDM president, a woman in tech, and a writer. She majors in Interactive and Social Media and Media and Cinema Studies, and minors in General Psychology (and a minor in Never Graduating). So basically she's everywhere. Oh, and she's one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus DePaul!
Ellyse is the Founding President and Editor-in-Chief of the DePaul University branch of Her Campus. She is currently a senior studying Public Relations and Advertising. Ellyse is originally from the Chicago suburbs and loves spending her college career enjoying all that the city has to offer. In addition to Her Campus, Ellyse is also a member of Delta Gamma. She hopes to one day work in either public relations or event planning and to one day own her own business. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, spending time with friends, catching up on blogs, quoting movies like it’s her job, pinning for hours and working out.