Yik Yak—The good, the bad, and the ugly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Even if you’re new to campus, don’t have a smartphone, or live under a rock, chances are that you’ve heard of an app called Yik Yak.  Originally released in November 2013, Yik Yak is deemed as a “local bulletin board”—basically an anonymous version of Twitter.  The app recognizes your geographical location and allows you to view the “yaks” of people in your area, and to up vote them, down vote them, or comment.  Yik Yak arrived on Denison’s campus at the beginning of 2014 and seems to have earned a permanent place among the study body since then.

It’s just an app, yet it seems to be so much more than that.  But what is it exactly that has us all addicted?  Perhaps it’s the thrill of anonymity or the satisfaction of watching your “yak” become popular.  Maybe it’s the idea of finding a new hookup buddy or friend, as some Denisonians seem to have enjoyed.  It could be the solidarity we feel by complaining about Bon Appetite’s food.  Whatever it is, it’s changed the dynamic of this campus.  It allows students to say things that they may not ordinarily say out loud.  Jokes have been cracked, issues have been discussed, and bonding has been experienced.  Yik Yak has united us as a student body in a way that we’ve never experienced before.

Most posts are in good fun, but some “yaks” can take a nasty turn.  Sometimes, individuals get called out.  Most often, greek life is satirized and specific houses are made fun of.  Seems harmless enough, but what is the allure of making fun of one another? Don’t anonymously talk about someone you hate—it reflects poorly on you, not them.  Instead, try to focus on the positives of Yik Yak.  Make people laugh, make someone’s day, or do something kind.  Going forward, let’s use this app for good, not evil.  Yak on.

Sophomore.  Equestrian.  Lover of HGTV, movies, and naps.
I'm a sophomore at Denison University from Boca Raton, Florida. I'm a psychology major and when I'm not studying, you can find me walking around campus trying to figure out what to do with this freezing Ohio weather, playing tennis with friends, or just looking for someone fun to talk to!