Why 91.1 WDUB Holds a Special Place in My Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

During the involvement fair of my first semester at Denison, I went searching for the radio station table to put my name on the list. I had known since my decision to go to Denison that I wanted to be a Doobie DJ. It’s been the best decision I’ve made so far in college.

For starters, I have a passion for music. Plus, when I took a career aptitude test in fourth grade, my results said I should work in radio. So here I am fulfilling my prophecy.

The Doobie is a community of the coolest people on campus, both past and present. Our beloved and worshipped alum Steve Carell had his own radio station when he attended Denison, and my dad’s best friend also worked at the radio station in his Denison days.

I know if I’m having a bad day, I can sneak away to the radio station in the corner of Slayter. I can slip on the headphones with the faded “91.1” written in thick black marker and just forget about the impending tests and exams.

My mission as a Doobie DJ is this: I want to connect people through the wonderful universal medium that is music. My philosophy is that music is the backdrop of human experiences and emotions. I hope to introduce people to new music that is close to my soul, but also play music that is filled with nostalgia and familiarity. (I think we can all agree that “Mr. Brightside” by the Killers is a song that everyone can enjoy screaming the lyrics to, for example). Music has helped me through many hardships and struggles, so I would strive to lend a helping hand through music to anyone who might be a little lost on their journey. If I make just one person’s day by playing a great song that they connect with, I leave the radio station feeling accomplished.

I look forward to creating my playlist for my show each week. Some of my favorite playlists have been a playlist of songs that have to do with a place (states, cities, countries, etc.), songs from movie soundtracks, songs that are all by female led bands, alternative hits every year from 1980s to present, songs to listen to in a coffee shop, and beach jams.  

If you’re thinking about joining 91.1 WDUB, do it! It’s a choice you won’t regret.

Doobie vibes!

Lover of words, music, traveling, dogs, and chocolate chip cookies.