lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

When is it Time to Call it Quits?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

As women, we have a hard time deciding when it’s time to say goodbye.  We believe that every situation can be fixed, and that every person we are in a relationship with is willing to put in as much effort as us.  We believe in second chances, and third chances, fourth chances, and even fifth chances.  We want to see the good in everyone.  More often than not, the person you are in a relationship is not willing to put in the effort that you are.  Here are some signs that are telling you to call it quits.

1.     When your significant other isn’t willing to try.

If your significant other doesn’t want to hang out with your friends for the night, he or she doesn’t want to spend a night with your family, or doesn’t want to do something you want to do, then say goodbye.  The one you should be with will always do something, no matter how much they don’t want to do it because you matter to him/her.

2.     When you make excuses for him/her to your friends

“Oh he cancelled our date because he’s got a long going on right now” or “It was poker night and he forgot, so we’re just gonna hang later.” No. You should be a priority.  No matter what anyone says.  You make times for things that matter.  He/she doesn’t make the time.  You don’t matter to him/her

3.     When you make sacrifices, but don’t think they’d make the same

If you don’t go out to the Sunnies because your significant other isn’t okay with it, but he goes out because his frat bros are having a ‘small’ thing, chuck up the deuces.  If he doesn’t want you hanging with a guy, because he thinks he knows his intentions, but he can hang with whomever he wants, say bye.  He is trying to control you and dictate whom you hang out with and when you can and can’t go out.  You shouldn’t sacrifice your social life because he’s not comfortable with it.  He should either trust you or back off. 

4.     When they verbally or physically abuse you.

No man or woman is worth feeling bad about yourself.  Don’t ever think you’re not good enough for someone.  More people are physically and emotionally abused than you think on this campus, and they probably don’t think they are being abused.  You should never tolerate physical or emotional abuse.    If you ever feel unsafe in your relationship with another person, there are campus organizations you can contact, such as Safety and SHARE. Anonymous calls can be made.

5.     When you find yourself thinking about someone else, being single, or serious doubts.

Go with your gut in this kind of situation.  If you constantly find yourself thinking about other people, or even harmlessly talking to other people, you might want to reconsider your relationship.  If you’re really starting to think about doubts, such as where is your relationship going or how your family would respond to meeting him/her, maybe you should just let the relationship go.  Relationships are about fighting for one another, and if you’re mind is elsewhere, it’s definitely time to say goodbye.

No matter how hard you might fight for it, sometimes you need to just let the relationship go.  Love might have nothing to do with your decision.  You could love someone till the day you die, but that doesn’t mean you’re meant to be with them till then.  You will have many relationships throughout your life, and the one your in could be the last, but chances are you will find someone else who will never makes you question if they’re the one.  

Sophomore.  Equestrian.  Lover of HGTV, movies, and naps.