This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Okay, hear me out. I know that somebody on this Earth shares these unpopular opinions with me, and for that person, whoever you may be, you’re welcome. I’ll take the “bullet” for the both of us, because I just have to get these things off my chest. However, before I begin, I’d like to acknowledge the inspiration for this idea, which comes directly from the Queen of YouTube herself, Jenna Marbles. She’s done a couple rant style videos just airing her grievances with everything from avocados to superhero movies, and now, after compiling a list of unpopular opinions on my phone for the past week, I’d like to do the same.

1. Winter break is too long.

I think I speak for most people when I say that the best part of winter break is the lead up to Christmas day, and perhaps lingers through New Year’s and ends around January 3rd. After which time, no matter how much I don’t want to go back to reading sociopolitical theory, I really want to go back to school. Look, mom, if you’re reading this, I love you. It’s not you, it’s me. I just go so stir crazy being home. Since my family is still relatively new to the area, all my friends are at college or live out of state, and it’s just too awkward of a time frame to try to get a job. I’m not advocating for homework and all that, but jeez louise, five weeks is a long time to spend at home. The power dynamics are so weird with parents when you’re in college, since you’re not a financially stable adult, but you are also no longer accustomed to following their orders to do chores or put on “real clothes.” It’s just a weird time when I don’t really know what to do with myself, and I can’t be alone in this!

2. Cupcakes are not good.

Of all the desserts, everything from pie, brownies, cookies, ice cream, etc., cupcakes are totally the worst. And yes, I’ve had “gourmet” cupcakes, and I’m still including them. Nobody actually wants to eat a bacon and chocolate cupcake, so just calm down. There’s just not enough appeal to the cupcake, even when the cake of it is surprisingly moist for once. Yes, moist. Let’s just skip the whole paper wrapped dessert and opt for donuts or milkshakes, ok?

3. Nutella should not be used liberally, like icing or peanut butter.

This unpopular opinion requires clarification, since I know some of y’all go insane over how delicious Nutella is. Listen, I can stand Nutella—she can stay. But lathering it on every food imaginable has got to go! I did not sign up for a toothpaste-like glob of chocolate hazelnut spread at 8:00 in the morning. Nutella is supposed to be a light spread over toast, not the surprise center of a cupcake. A cupcake that, mind you, I didn’t even want in the first place. Ew.

4. YouTube is better than Netflix.

I spend so much of my time surfing through Netflix trying to find what to watch that by the time I’ve actually found something, I’ve wasted an hour of my free time. It’s just too much to deal with, and honestly, YouTube updates every second, not every few months. My favorite people, who I am able to devote short bursts of time or hours to, are always uploading fresh new content. YouTube is where it’s at, because I can binge and not get the post-series blues afterwards.

5. Tumblr makes zero sense.

I truly can’t even explain what doesn’t make sense about Tumblr to me because it’s that confusing. What is the point? How does it work? Why? How is it different from Pinterest? Does anyone still use it? Someone please explain!

6. The Kardashians are entertaining.

As someone who feels some weird embarrassment for following all of the Kardashian-Jenner clan on social media, I’d just like to say, these women are hella entertaining! Their lives, while inexplicable at times, keep me coming back for more. I want to know more about Kylie’s possible baby than I do about most people’s real children. There, I said it. I know I’m not alone on this one, because, as much as people don’t want to give the Kardashians or Jenner’s their money or attention, these ladies are not going away anytime soon. They may not have traditional talent, but they certainly are business savvy, beautiful, and absolutely ridiculously addictive.

7. Taylor Swift’s best album was her first.

Taylor Swift’s self-titled first album, which released in 2006 when she was just 16-years-old, was by far her best. While I can’t deny that she’s released bops from other albums over the years, radio hits like “We Are Never Getting Back Together” and “Blank Space,” there’s just no comparison to the heartfelt lyrics we heard in her first studio album. I’ve always been an advocate for Taylor to return to her country roots, and nothing solidified this opinion more than the releases of her singles “Look What You Made Me Do” and “Are You Ready for It?”. The only thing I’m ready for is for you to stop trying so hard to be edgy. Sorry, TS.

8. HP over Macs

Before Mac users get their panties in a twist, I’m writing this right now on a Mac. I use them when I need to, and yes, they’re aesthetically pleasing, and likely super intuitive. However, they’re software and layout make absolutely zero sense to me. If you asked me to open up a document from a flashdrive you put into a Mac, I’d have no idea where to start. Why are these things so much more difficult to navigate than the iPhone? I just don’t find them user friendly for a technologically deficient twenty-year old such as myself. Also, they are so flippin’ expensive.

9. Nicholas Sparks has some good books, ok.

I’ll be the first to admit that Nicholas Sparks books can be totally predictable and corny af. But, the middle schooler in me really appreciated books like The Guardian and The Last Song. By no means am I saying that Sparks’ work should be considered as great literature, but let’s at least remember that his books have been transformed into some totally awesome (and totally unbearable) romantic comedies.

10. Paying more than $20 for a manicure is actually ludicrous. 

Unless you’re preparing for your wedding or your prom, why are you paying $65 for a manicure? Why? Stop it. Please just go paint your nails at home. I just do not get it! You have to get them done constantly, and its just insanity to pay that much every year to put some color and designs on your nails, especially when they could so easily break.

11. Soup is a liquid and not a meal.

I fully recognize the asinine nature of this unpopular opinion, but nonetheless, it’s what I believe. It’s probably just because I’ve never really been a soup person, but soup is a liquid, and it’s therefore a beverage. I don’t care how chunky it is; it’s at the very least an appetizer for the main course. It’s always too hot, not very good, and unsatisfying.

12. Telemarketers are just trying to make a living.

This unpopular opinion most definitely stems from my own experience as a student caller for my university’s annual fund. Not only was this the worst job I’ve ever held because it was extremely boring, but also because people are so mean to strangers who are just trying to do their job. You don’t need to give these people your money, or even your time. Please, go ahead and hang up. The caller will still be compensated for trying to make the call. What I despise is when people get unnecessarily nasty with the caller, who, by the way, doesn’t want to be calling you at dinner time either.

13. I just don’t get the hype around Harry Potter, Pokemon, or Star Wars.

When I was in elementary school, it seemed as though I was the only child who never participated in swapping Pokemon cards. Not only did I have no idea of the differences between the Pokemon, or really the point of playing with the cards, but I just never understood the fascination with the show at all. The same thing goes for Star Wars and Harry Potter, movie franchises that everyone and their mama seems to go bananas over. They stand in lines for hours just to get midnight tickets to the movies or to go on the rides at Universal and Disney World. I just don’t understand the hype or the fandom around it, and at this point, I feel like I already missed the boat to start watching the movies from either series. So if you ask me what “house” I’m in or if I’m on the light side or dark side or whatever, I don’t have an answer for you, sis.

I'm Grace, a senior English-Writing major (Narrative Journalism) and Educational Studies minor at Denison University. I work on campus in the Writing Center as the manager and as an assistant in the English Department. Mostly I spend my time doing homework, watching makeup tutorials on YouTube, and hanging out with friends and family. Right now I’m figuring out post-grad plans and working on a book-length senior writing project. I often write about relationships, mental health, body image, and pop culture, so stay tuned if any of that sounds remotely interesting.