Skarlyn Rodriguez ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

We decided to switch this up this week and focus our cutie questions on a popular sport here at Denison, Rugby! Our very own Ellie Toth interviewed a junior member of the women’s team, Skarlyn Rodriguez. 

1. How long have you been playing rugby?

I’ve been playing since my freshman year at Denison so this will be my third year on the team.

1. What do you like about the game of rugby?

I’ve been a part of a variety of sports, but rugby is the only sport that is extremely violent with really friendly players.I also played last semester when I was abroad in Copenhagen.I love how it is a universal sport and even though I was far from home, it was still the same game.

1. Do you have team nicknames?

We do! It usually depends on something a player does or from their name.My nickname is Skar. Some of the other nicknames are Bro (Broken robot), Kicks, Boots, and Jackie Tran: Brue Lee.

1. How do you bond as a team?

We usually have games on Saturdays so we will have movie nights together on Fridays and throughout the year, we will throw a themed party. We also have rugby families like Greek life.We call them Rookies and Veterans.We have a really close team.

1. When is your first game?

Our first home game is March 30th against Ohio State University: big game.Later in the spring, we have Nash Bash in Nashville, Tennessee, which is a tournament in which the top 16 teams in the country attend.

1. What are your hopes for this season?

Last season we were number 1 in division 2 club rugby. Right now, we’re in a really good spot.I hope we become number one in the nation.

1. Why should people come out to see a game?

We are a very underrated sport.We do really well.I think we should have as many fans as a varsity sport because it is a fun atmosphere and an exciting game!

Ellie is a member of the class of 2016 at Denison University.  She is an English major with an emphasis on Creative Writing and a Psychology minor.  From a suburb of Detroit called Beverly Hills, Ellie loves coffee, chocolate, J.Crew, and spends too much time on Buzzfeed.  Along with writing for Her Campus, Ellie is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta fraternity at Denison. When she's not writing for class or Her Campus, you can find her re-watching The Hills episodes.
Kaitlin is a sophomore at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She is currently studying Economics with a minor in Communication. When Kaitlin isn't studying, you can find her attending events for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, writing articles, playing tennis, or watching Bravo obsessively.  As a Bravo fangirl, she would love to meet Andy Cohen.