This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

A wave of relief rushed over me when I stepped on Denison’s campus less than a month ago. I was about to be the “new kid” at school and I was excited, yet filled with anxiety at the same time. All the little worries I had about not knowing how to work the washer or knowing how to use my meal plan faded away. Part of me knew that I was in the right place and I had chosen the right time to transfer, and I reminded myself constantly how hard I had worked to get to Denison. Somehow in my heart I knew it would all work out for the best. 

I spent the day setting up my room, getting comfortable in my new home. That night I had my first transfer dinner and met others who were going through the same process I was. They were able to understand my complex emotions of hesitation and excitement. I went to bed feeling more confident that I had made the right decision for myself.

The next day transfer orientation began. At 8:30 I began my process of becoming of a Denisonian. By the end of the day, I was exhausted and in love with my school. I had learned all the basics that I hadn’t even known about my former college. Somehow I felt as if I had been at Denison for a year. My roommate, a bubbly girl from Michigan, showed up soon after orientation was finished. Eager to introduce me to everyone, she dragged me everywhere to meet all of her friends. I was sure I wasn’t going to remember all the names of those who I had met, but at least I had people to say hi to and walk with to class. Before I knew it, I had gone through a week of classes. The academics were clearly more challenging than my old institution and I was intimidated (and still am), but I was ready for the challenge. I had waited a semester for classrooms that promoted the learning experience I require. 

Three weeks in, I am more confident than ever that Denison is exactly what I needed. My classes challenge me, I’ve made lots of wonderful friends, and my roommate has become my best support system. I have no doubt that my life at Denison will continue to improve and I can’t wait to find out what my next adventure will be.