Isabel Tumminello

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Isabel Tumminello is the type of girl everyone wants to be friends with. She’s funny, cute, and outgoing. She’s involved in sports, Greek life, and other organizations and still has time to be a great friend to everyone she meets. Aren’t you dying to know more about this girl? Check her out here and find out how she manages to do it all!

I know you’re very involved on campus, how do you manage to stay so busy and still focus on school?Ummm.. great question. My parents always told me being a student is a full time job so I try to treat it as such. I’d like to say that I put homework before everything else, but I have a hard time stepping back from my friends and all of the extracurricular aspects of campus I’m involved in. I’m still working on the whole college balancing act, but I think I’m getting closer.

You just got back from a trip for the club Active Minds. What exactly is Active Minds and what was your favorite thing about the trip?Active Minds is a club on campus that focuses on ending the stigma surrounding mental health and illness. It’s such an important part of anyones life but especially college students because we’re always so so stressed out and always forget to make times to be holistically healthy and not just physically healthy. My favorite part of the trip was being surrounded by hundreds of other college students who care so much about this issue and are all working towards the same end goal of a world without stigma. Its so so exciting to be back on campus to start putting all the ideas in place.

You’re also heavily involved in the One Student organization. Why does this group hold so much importance for you?One Student is a student lead campaign fighting against sexual assault on our own campus. It’s such an important issue to be because it effects everyone. Sexual assault isn’t a women’s problem or a men’s problem, its a human problem. With every act of sexual assault on our campus, people’s power is taken away. This campaign is so vital because it’s empowering students to stand up, make a difference, and take our power back. One Student is not just about empowering survivors, but also about empowering those who can step up and intervene in bad situations. Together as one we can help end sexual assault.

What’s your favorite thing about Denison?I love that I can walk across campus and genuinely smile and say hi to almost everyone. The sense of community is pretty spectacular.

What’s a fun fact about yourself?I speak three languages (French, Spanish and English) and play the ukulele

What’s your favorite quote or words you live by?“Do all things with love” and “Our job is to love others without stopping to inquire whether or not they are worthy.”  and finally “Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing” -Ron Swanson

If there was one piece of advice you could give to your freshman self, what would it be?No one stays mad forever so if you need to do something that not everybody will agree with, they’ll get over it. Its more important to do what you think is right than to do whats popular. It took me a long time to realize it, but when I did, life got a whole lot nicer and easier.

Last question, favorite pick up line?!I love you like Kanye loves Kanye.

I'm a sophomore at Denison University from Boca Raton, Florida. I'm a psychology major and when I'm not studying, you can find me walking around campus trying to figure out what to do with this freezing Ohio weather, playing tennis with friends, or just looking for someone fun to talk to!