How to Avoid End of the Year Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

It’s getting to that time of year again. Finals begin to creep closer and closer, your workload doubles, and you find yourself racing around trying to figure out summer plans. Trying to balance scheduling, the housing lottery, school and so many other things can take its toll. Instead of letting stress take over, I thought it would be beneficial to share some tips that should make your day, and even week less of a burden. Even better? Dividing the advice by stress category.

School:

1. Get ahead. On Everything.

Especially now, when you have final papers, exams and multiple deadlines approaching, don’t make yourself miserable and wait until the night before to finish. If you have a ten page paper due at the end of the semester, maybe start planning your idea/thesis now. Then write the paper chunk by chunk, starting a week or two ahead. Set a goal for yourself. Self, I’m going to write two pages a day until the due date. This way, not only are you avoiding an all nighter, but now you have more time to edit and revise your paper, and make it a quality product for your professor.

2. Go talk to your professors.

Even if you have no reason to, find a reason. Their job is to instruct students, and if you have any questions, email them and set up an appointment. Even discussing fear of the final with your professor can be helpful, after all, they’re writing the test. Since they also teach a handful of classes, face recognition is great, so you can build a personal relationship. Whenever I meet with any of mine, I always feel higher confidence about the class and my work.

3. For registration, write out multiple schedules.

Class registration is downright awful. It shoots your stress levels through the roof as you watch seats in your dream class slowly disappear on self-service. Write out your first choice of classes, and then a few more backups, just in case your classes fill up. This way you won’t be scrambling through the class listings when your options are full.

Housing

1. Have multiple options.

This is probably the worst thing about second semester. Drama surrounds the lottery, since everything is out of your control. Have multiple options with who you could live with, since you may find yourself and your bestie with a 200+ number. Also, be open with your potential roomies. Discuss what would happen if you both had terrible numbers, and have an understanding that a roommate break up is not the end of the world. Your friendship will survive living a floor or two apart!

2. Pick your first choice and second choice buildings to live.

Especially when you become an upper classman, you have multiple buildings that you and your friends can stay. Make sure you all meet before hand and rank your top three, and make sure everyone is on board. Everything should be decided before you go to sign up for rooms.

Summer:

1. Start narrowing down your choices, if you haven’t already.

If you have a few options on the table for jobs or internships, it’s time to sit down and make a pro and con list. Which one would be best for you this summer? Do you want pay or not? If you need advise, the Career office at Denison is extremely helpful. Call to make an appointment, and they can read over your resume and applications. They can help you make the best decision for you.

2. If you’re going home, have an idea of how you’re going to handle your parents.

Going home after being at college for months is a tough transition. We all love our parents, but I guarantee you may find some more rules, and even a curfew at home. Call your parents, or sit down and talk with them about your rules. If you’re sharing a car, which days/hours are most important to you? Communication with your parents is critical.

Your Relationship/Significant other:

1. NON-OFFICAL: If you’re not officially with someone/hooking-up/kind of dating/kind of together but not really, have a conversation about summer, and fairly soon. Decide what you want out of this. Do you think it can last the summer? Would it be smart to place a label on something before a 4 month long-distance commitment? Or maybe you’re just enjoying whatever situation you’re in, and plan on keeping it casual until summer. Decide what you want!

2. OFFICIAL: Enjoy these last few weeks! Go on a few dates, plan a few hangouts. If you’re not going to be in the same area this summer, discuss when you would plan to visit one another, or ways to keep in touch until next semester.

These are all the areas that most people find the most stress in, so hopefully you’ll find some comfort in this. Have a great rest of the semester!

-Kaitlin xoxo

Kaitlin is a sophomore at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She is currently studying Economics with a minor in Communication. When Kaitlin isn't studying, you can find her attending events for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, writing articles, playing tennis, or watching Bravo obsessively.  As a Bravo fangirl, she would love to meet Andy Cohen.