Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Here we are in the middle of the lovey-dovey season of Valentine’s Day, and amidst all the sugar and pink hearts it can be easy to forget that at the core of it all is simply the desire to appreciate the people we love in our lives.

Enter Galentine’s Day. This holiday, celebrated on February 13th, is an opportunity to step back from all the Valentine’s Day relationship pressure and celebrate the women we love! So in honor of Galentine’s Day, here are three great ways to celebrate with your favorite gals!

1. For the Foodie: Brunch is a perfect way to show your gals how much you love them and it’s a great way to celebrate a group of any size. If you’re lucky enough to have access to a kitchen, and are feeling inpired to DIY these southwestern baked eggs or these lemon blueberry pancakes would make the perfect morning meal. However, if, like many of us here on campus, you can’t cook or simply don’t feel like it, Aladdin’s, Alfie’s, and River Road are always delicious!      

2. For the kid at heart: If you’re feeling nostalgic for the days of girly movies, loads of sweet snacks, and DIY mani-pedis, who says you can’t bring back the old-fashioned slumber party! These red wine and chocolate donuts (yes, you read that right) scream girls’ night in (but if you’re feeling lazy, nobody would object to loading up on grocery store snacks either), and, oh yeah, Clueless, Mean Girls, and Pretty in Pink are all streaming on Netflix. Time to snuggle up!

3. For the long-distance bestie: Galentine’s day is about the ladies who make your life amazing, and in college, these girls are often hundreds of miles away. It can be easy to get caught up in our own lives and forget to check in, and sometimes all we need is to grab a cup of tea and see our old pals, even if it’s only for a little bit!

Happy Galentine’s Day!!!                                                                                                                                                                                               

Ellie is a member of the class of 2016 at Denison University.  She is an English major with an emphasis on Creative Writing and a Psychology minor.  From a suburb of Detroit called Beverly Hills, Ellie loves coffee, chocolate, J.Crew, and spends too much time on Buzzfeed.  Along with writing for Her Campus, Ellie is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta fraternity at Denison. When she's not writing for class or Her Campus, you can find her re-watching The Hills episodes.