Gabe Dixson: Diver of the Year!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Lately, on the Hill, the big buzz has been about the Swim and Dive National Championship. In honor of the whole team we would like to highlight one of their top champions, Gabe Dixson. This current Denison Junior claims that he never really wanted to dive. Gabe has been doing gymnastics since the age of five and began to practice gymnastics competitively at age six.  He continued with gymnastics until around the age of 14 when he decided he wanted to try something new.  Gabe’s friend had suggested that he should try out diving and encouraged him to give it a shot.  

Gabe’s diving career started during his freshman year of high school. Gabe says that participating in such a demanding sport that has such a tight schedule keeps him attentive and on track and has helped him with his time-management skills. At one point he tried to switch to swimming, but did not take to it well and decided that diving was really where he needed to be.

When we asked him who he looks up to Gabe said that Matthew Mitcham is his biggest idol. Mitcham is an openly gay, Australian diver who took the Gold Olympic medal in 2008 for the 10-meter dive. 

Today, Gabe has become one of the top divers in the nation! He won’t brag, so we’ll do it for him! Gabe has been named the NCAC Diver of the Year for the past two years. He has also won 1st place in both the one and three meter during the NCAC Championships for the past two years. Gabe also recieved 4th place in both the one and three meter at the NCAA Division III Nationals! Gabe is truly a role model for the younger members on the team and everyone looks up to him  and admires him for his positive attitude and fun personality.

With Denison supporting Gabe all the way, we hope to see him get his own gold medal some day!  We are so proud of you, Gabe!

Sally Maxwell is a senior at Denison University and will be graduating in the Spring of 2012. She is a Communications major and Spanish minor and very involved on campus. She is the Vice President of Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish Honor Society) and the Alumnae Chair for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. She plans to pursue a career in Public Relations or marketing and advertising, hopefully in a big city somewhere. Being born and raised in Ohio, she is ready for the big city life after college! She loves her yellow labrador, Beau, and spending time with friends. She strongly believes that everything happens for a reason and she is ready for whatever life has to offer her!