Campus Celebrity: Helene Griffin ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is Helene Griffin ’17 of Countryside, Illinois.  Helen is an English – creative writing major.  On campus, she is a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma and will be the president of the humane society next fall.

1. If you could have coffee with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

Probably Charlie Kaufman because I love the way he writes. He wrote Being John Malkovich and whenever I watch that I wish I had a portal into Charlie Kaufman’s brain, just like they have a portal to John Malkovich’s brain in the movie.

2. What are you most excited about for your time abroad?

I’m just excited to be able to call a place on another continent home for a little while. I’ve never left the country and I’m really excited to live in another place and notice how their culture is similar or different from our own. Also food.

3. Plans for after graduation?

I don’t even know my plans for tonight.

4. Dogs or cats?

DOGS. I have two dogs named Seamus and Lily and they are the loves of my life. I constantly wish they had opposable thumbs and we could text each other. I love them even when they get mad at me and put dead birds on my bed.

5. Justin Bieber or One Direction?

I’m honestly offended you’re putting me in this position but One Direction. My decision not to go to their concert with my friend will probably haunt me to the day I die.

6. Advice for freshman:

Call your parents and tell them you love them, keep in touch with friends from home, and don’t stress out about getting all your general requirements done right away – take some classes you think are interesting because this is the only time we’ll have when our job is literally just to learn a lot.

7. Who is your biggest role model?

My friend Jack Kunkle. He passed away a little over a year ago but he was funny, insightful, and honestly just a really cool person. It’s really hard to be true to yourself sometimes but I never doubted that he was being genuine, and I would love to live my life with the same sincerity and humor he lived his!

Sophomore.  Equestrian.  Lover of HGTV, movies, and naps.