Avoiding Back to School Awkwardness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

When I was brainstorming possible topics to write for this article, I was pretty stuck. What would fit as a great back to school topic without seeming cliché? Once common theme I’ve heard around campus is some awkwardness with the transition of being back for another year. So, I’ve compiled a list of potential awkward situations you may encounter on campus in the next few weeks…

1. “I haven’t seen my best friends in 4 months, and I’m thrilled to see them, but for some reason it was a little awkward.” This is TOTALLY normal. With not seeing a best friend/important person for a long period of time, there is a huge buildup/ anticipation for your reunion. Everyone has stress when moving in and starting a new year, which can dull emotions the first time you see each other. Don’t worry, this won’t last long at all! Go on a friend date, grab lunch or dinner, go on a walk, workout together, or just hang out. You’ll be back together in no time!

2. “I’m not living where/with who I originally wanted too.” This is super common here. With our lottery system, you can have seemingly perfect plans to live in the building of your choice with your bestie, and with a bad number it can all go wrong. Your friendships will survive! You may have to walk a little farther to hang out, or even go to another building, but it you’ll adjust. If you are unfamiliar with a roommate, take time to get to know them, and go out of your way to say hello in the morning or grab breakfast.

3. “I’m super overwhelmed with school already.” Everyone is experiencing this, and it they deny this fact, it’s a lie. Try getting organized. Buy folders, tabs, sticky notes, and use your planner! Getting a new syllabus is daunting, but by taking each day at a time you can break down the work. This time of the semester is very tempting to avoid work until later, but try stopping by the library for an hour or two just to reduce your work load a bit and avoid staying up all night the day before an assignment is due.

4. “I was talking to this guy at the end of last semester, then summer happened.” Summer is a long time, and you may have only shared a few texts, but maybe some interest is still there. Maybe ask how his summer was at brunch, or ask him what his plans are on a Friday night. Listen to the signs, if he doesn’t seem into it, or doesn’t text you back, it’s time to move on. But if he still seems interested, see what happens!

Kaitlin is a sophomore at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She is currently studying Economics with a minor in Communication. When Kaitlin isn't studying, you can find her attending events for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, writing articles, playing tennis, or watching Bravo obsessively.  As a Bravo fangirl, she would love to meet Andy Cohen.