6 Quick Tips for Denison Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

New to The Hill? Here are six helpful tips to help you out.

1. Befriend your dorm.

Whether your dorm is rowdy or quiet, it’s always great to get to know your fellow hall and dorm-mates. Over the year, these people will become a support group and you might even stay friends with these individuals for life. If you’re worried about making friends, play games in the common areas and people will want to join.

2. It’s okay to wear workout clothes to class.

Denison has the reputation for being preppy but with classes on a hill, it’s very unrealistic to constantly look your best. Throw on some sweats and get ready to rock that 8:30am bio class.

3. Find your “own” bathroom.

As a freshman, you have the unfortunate reality of having to share a bathroom with 20+ other individuals. Although this might sound daunting, you don’t have to accept it. Use the common bathroom located in the lobby of your dorm, shower in Mitchell after a workout, befriend some upperclassmen, or search the campus to claim a bathroom your own.

4. Go to office hours.

Denison is a small school. The professors here are amazing and will be some of the most intellectual people you’ll ever meet. Get to know them outside a classroom setting- they won’t cease to amaze you.

5. Don’t spend hours getting ready for a night out.

The Denison party scene summed up in one word? SWEATY. Don’t waste your time perfecting your hair and make-up. It’ll come off as soon as you walk through the door.

6. Get involved.

Get the most out of your time here at Denison. Get to know the organizations Denison offers. Sign up for everything you’re interested in. Maybe even go sign up for Her Campus! Just go to some meetings and GET INVOLVED.

Kathlyn Craigie is just a California girl living in an Ohio world. As a senior at Denison University, Kathlyn enjoys being part of the varsity volleyball team, traveling abroad, and cherishing the remaining time she has left on The Hill.