50 Badass Lady-Quotes That’ll Kickstart Your Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

There are always going to be days where you “just can’t.” When the time comes to get motivated take a look at these fire quotes by kickass ladies just like yourself, and be the person you know the world needs!

1. “I was smart enough to go through any door that opened.”  – Joan Rivers, comedian and actress.  

2. “If I stop to kick every barking dog I am not going to get where I’m going.”  – Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Olympian and decorated track athlete.  

3. “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half of its citizens.” – Michelle Obama, Ivy League educated lawyer and 44th First Lady of the United States.  

4. “On my own I will just create, and if it works, it works, and if it doesn’t, I’ll create something else. I don’t have any limitations on what I think I could do or be.”  – Oprah Winfrey, media mogul and philanthropist.  

5. “When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.” – Malala Yousafzai, Pakistani born activist for female education and the youngest-ever Nobel Prize laureate.  

6. “Knowing what must be done does away with fear.”  – Rosa Parks, Civil Rights activist.  

7. “Power’s not given to you. You have to take it.”  – Beyonce Knowles Carter, American singer, songwriter and media icon.  

8. “No matter how senior you get in an organization, no matter how well you’re perceived to be doing, you job is never done.”  – Abigail Johnson, CEO of Fidelity Investments.  

9. “Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead twenty years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then.”  – Diana Ross, lead singer of the Supremes, the most successful female vocal group in pop music.  

10. “I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.”  – Madonna, influential singer, songwriter, actress and businesswoman.  

11. Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you.” – Hillary Clinton, politician, former candidate for President of the United States.  

12. “I think the truth of the matter is, people who end up as ‘first’ don’t actually set out to be first. They set out to do something they love and it just so happens that they are        the first to do it.”  – Condoleezza Rice, former U.S Secretary of State.

13. “The way you tell your story to yourself matters.” – Amy Cuddy, Researcher at Harvard Business School.  

14. “I tell my daughters to have their voice in this world, and it became clear that I needed to role-model that.”  – Melinda Gates, Co-Founder of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.  

15. “The difference between successful people and others is how long they spend time feeling sorry for themselves.”  – Barbara Corcoran, businesswoman, investor and star of ABC’s “Shark Tank.”

16. “You can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them.”  – Shonda Rhimes, producer, screenwriter and author. Best known as the executive producer and writer of the television drama “Grey’s Anatomy.”  

17. “I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.”  – Lucille Ball, actress and comedian best known for her roll in “I Love Lucy.”  

18. “If you don’t risk anything, you risk even more.” – Erica Jong, American writer known for her novel “Fear of Flying,” which addressed female sexuality.  

19. “What I do for my work is exactly what I would do if nobody paid me.”  – Gretchen Rubin, author of “The Happiness Project,” an influential self-help book.  

20. “Buckle up, and know that it’s going to be a tremendous amount of work, but embrace it.” – Tory Burch, CEO and designer of Tory Burch LLC.  

21. “Run to the fire, don’t hide from it.” – Meg Whitman, CEO and President of HP.  

22. “I did not have the most experience in the industry or the most money, but I cared the most.” – Sara Blakely, Founder of Spanx.  

23. “The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice.”  – Peggy O’Mara, editor and social justice advocator, known for her pieces on being a mother, healthy living and families.  

24. “If you think taking care of yourself is selfish, change your mind. If you don’t, you’re simply ducking your responsibilities.” – Ann Richards, 45th Governor of Texas, a democrat, known for her outspoken feminism and stinging one liners.  

25. “You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe.” – Leymah Gbowee, Liberian peace activist who headed the Women of Liberia Mass Action For Peace. She’s credited for assisting in ending the Second Liberian Civil War.  

26. “If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one.”  – Dolly Parton, country singer/songwriter who is also known for her philanthropy.

27. “[My mother] told me that fear was not an option. I was always told that women are stronger, so I believed it.”  – Diane Von Furstenberg, fashion designer and president of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.  

28. “I am proud of my position as a boss, as a person that runs my own company. I’m an entrepreneur… I don’t want to shy away from it. I actually want to kind of grab it by its balls.” – Katy Perry, award-winning musician and media icon.  

29. “I wouldn’t ask anyone to do anything I wouldn’t do myself.”  – Indra Nooyi, CEO of PepsiCo.

30. “When we’re growing up there are all sorts of people telling us what to do when really what we need is space to work out who to be.”  – Ellen Page, actress and activist.  

31. “When looking for a life partner, my advice to women is to date all of them: the bad boys, the cool boys, the commitment-phobic boys, the crazy boys. But do not marry them. The things that make the bad boys sexy do not make them good husbands. When it comes time to settle down, find someone who wants and equal partner. Someone who thinks women should be smart, opinionated and ambitious. Someone who values fairness and expects, or even better, wants to do his share in the home. These men exist and, trust me, over time, nothing is sexier.”   – Sheryl Sandberg, Chief Operating Officer of Facebook and the founder of Leanin.org.  

32. “I have come to realize making yourself happy is most important. Never be ashamed of how you feel. You have the right to feel any emotion you want, and to do what makes you happy. That’s my life motto.”   – Demi Lovato, American actress and mental health activist.  

33. “If we march the long road to freedom in hatred, what we find at the end is not freedom but another prison.”  – Aung San Suu Kyi, President of the National League for Democracy in Myanmar.  

34. “If you want to run for Prime Minister, you can. If you don’t, that’s wonderful, too. Shave your armpits, don’t shave them, wear flats one day, heels the next; we want to empower women to do exactly what they want.” – Emma Watson, respected actress and activist for women’s rights.

35. “I may be wearing makeup, but I can throw a fastball by you at the same time.”  – Jennie Finch, professional softball pitcher.  

36. “A good compromise is one where everybody makes a contribution.”  – Angela Merkel, German politician and Chancellor of Germany.  

37. “Drama is very important in life: you have to come out with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper.” – Julia Child, famed American chef known best for her work in bringing French cuisine to the United States.  

38. “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.”  – Coco Chanel, french designer and businesswoman.  

39. “The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”  – Ayn Rand, Russian-American novelist who developed a philosophical system she called Objectivism.  

40. “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.”  – Eleanor Roosevelt, the longest serving First Lady of the United States who changed the role of the First Lady as well as how we view diplomatic relations.  

41. “I don’t mind living in a man’s world, as long I can be a woman in it.”  – Marilyn Monroe, American actress and model, known for being the sex symbol of the 1950’s.  

42. “I will not retire while I’ve still got my legs and my makeup box.”  – Bette Davis, American actress known for her range of acting abilities and widely regarded as one of the greatest actresses in Hollywood history.  

43. “A woma

“Of course I am not worried about intimidating men. The type of man who will be intimidated by me is exactly the type of man I have no interest in.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

44. “Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.” – Ellen DeGeneres, American actress and host who has used her platforms to bring awareness to many things, most importantly issues facing the LGBT community.  

45. “The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.”  – Gloria Steinem, feminist activist who rose to fame as the leader and spokesperson for the feminist movement of the 1960’s and 1970’s.  

46. “The most effective way to do it, is to do it.”  – Amelia Earhart, an aviation pioneer who became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.  

47. “I just love bossy women. I could be around them all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody’s passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn’t mind learning.” – Amy Poehler, a prolific actor, comedian and writer who tackles tough issues through lighthearted discussion.  

48. “Everyone is a complicated human being, and everyone is strong and weak and funny and scared.” – Laverne Cox, American actress and LGBT advocate known for her role in “Orange is The New Black,” in which she became the first openly transgender personal to be nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award.

49. “A feminist is a person who believes in the power of women as much as they believe in the power of anyone else. It’s equality, it’s fairness, and I think it’s a great thing to be a part of.”  – Zendaya, a singer and actress who has been outspoken in her concern over women’s issues.  

50. “We’re here for a reason. I believe that reason is to throw little torches out to lead people through the dark.”  – Whoopi Goldberg, American actress, comedian, author and television host.