absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Get Basic With Pumpkin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

5 ways to get basic with pumpkin

The crisp fall air, leaves slowly changing, and sweaters and boots seen on the quad can only mean one thing. A basic girl’s DREAM. Pumpkin recipes, lattes, leather boots and colorful vests – fall is here!

Tis’ the season for the best pumpkin recipes for your fun weekend baking sessions and comfort food cravings.

Here are 5 of the best college girl (+ Pinterest!) approved pumpkin recipes:

Pumpkin Pie Waffles

Ingredients:

• ½ box of yellow cake mix

• 1 small can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)

• 1 tbls. Pumpkin pie spice

• sugar opt.

• waffle iron

Directions:

• Preheat waffle according to manufacture instructions.

• Combine cake mix, pumpkin and spice in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.

• (Optional) Sugar crust: sprinkle 1 tsp of sugar on each waffle sections before adding the batter (SO yummy).

• Drop batter onto waffle iron and cook according to your waffle iron’s instructions.

• Top with whipped cream (obviously!), nuts, syrup, etc.!

Pumpkin Granola

Ingredients:

• 3 cups rolled oats

• 1 ¼ cup raw pecans

• 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds

• 3 tbsp sugar

• ¼ tsp sea salt

• ¾ tsp pumpkin pie spice (and a dash of cinnamon)

• ¼ cup coconut or olive oil

• 1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey)

• 1/3 cup of pumpkin puree

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 340* F.

2. Mix the oats, nuts, seeds, spices, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl.

3. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the coconut oil, maple syrup and pumpkin puree and whisk. Pour over the dry ingredients and quickly mix with a wooden spoon.

4. Spread the mixture evenly onto two baking sheets (or bake in two batches) and bake for 23-33 minutes, stirring a bit near the halfway point.

5. Once the granola is golden brown (usually about 25 minutes), remove from oven and let cool completely. It will crisp up as it cools.

6. Transfer to an airtight container. Should keep for a couple weeks. Enjoy with almond milk, dairy-free yogurt, or on top of oats!

Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake

Ingredients:

• 4 tbsp all purpose flour

• 1/4 tsp baking powder

• 2 tbsp granulated white sugar

• 2 tbsp fat free milk

• 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil

• 2 tbsp pumpkin puree

• 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

• 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

• 1/16 tsp ground ginder

• 1/16 tsp ground cloves

Directions:

1. Combine all of the ingredients into an oversized (microwave safe!) mug.

2. Mix ingredients with a small whisk until smooth.

3. Cook in microwave for approx. 1 minute and 15 seconds. (The cake is best within a few hours of it being cooked!)

Pumpkin Nutella Cookie Bars

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

• 1/3 cup pumpkin puree

• 3/4 cup dark brown sugar

• 1/4 cup granulated sugar

• 1 egg yolk

• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

• 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

• 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

• 3/4 cup Nutella (or other chocolate spread)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.

2. Place melted butter, pumpkin, and both sugars in the bowl. Mix in egg yolk, baking soda, salt, spices, and vanilla until smooth. Mix in flour until batter is smooth.

3. Press half the batter in the bottom of the pan. (The batter is sticky so you may want to spray your hands with cooking spray) It’ll be a thin layer in the bottom of the pan. Bake for 8 minutes.

4. Place Nutella (or other chocolate spread) in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for just a few seconds until pourable. Pour evenly over the top of the partially baked crust. Spread it carefully so it doesn’t rip the cookie bars. Scoop tablespoons of batter over the top and carefully spread with your fingers.

5. Bake an additional 17-20 minutes until the top is no longer glossy and the edges are golden brown. Cool completely before slicing.

6. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month!

1. Pumpkin Spice Greek Yogurt Pancakes

Ingredients:

• ½ cup flour

• ¼ cup plain Greek Yogurt

• ¼ cup pumpkin puree

• 1 large egg

• ½ Tbsp. maple syrup

• ½ tsp. cinnamon

• ¼ tsp. ginger

• pinch of nutmeg

• 3-4 Tbsp. vanilla almond milk (or just milk!)

• ½ tsp. baking

Directions:

1. Preheat a skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking oil. Make sure that the skillet is hot before you start cooking.

2. Add all the ingredients (except for the baking powder) and blend until batter becomes smooth. Add baking powder last and blend for a few more seconds until fully incorporated.

3. Using about ¼ cup of batter, drop batter onto hot skillet and cook until the edges have set and bubbles begin to form on the tops of the pancakes – about 2-3 minutes.

4. Using a spatula, flip and cook for 2 more minutes on the other side.

5. Remove from heat and serve warm with your favorite toppings!

I am an English Creative Writing major from Los Angeles, California. In addition to my Her Campus responsibilities, I am also the Editor-in-Chief of Denison's student newspaper. I am involved in Greek life on campus as a sister of Pi Beta Phi. I have an insatiable passion for all things Harry Potter. When I'm not in class, you can find me taking long naps, reading, biking or binge watching Netflix.