5 Tips for Incoming Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

College can be scary, but it’ll be easier if you know these five tips! 

1. Be open-minded.

College is a time where you should be learning more about yourself and your peers. This is the time where you will meet people who have lived through different experiences as you. Instead of bothering them, learn from them. Learn about who they are and maybe you will learn more about yourself through your conversations.

2. Be yourself.

It may sound cliché, but it is the truth. Do not try to be someone that you are not. Being authentic and genuine as you meet more people on campus will never serve you wrong. You are on this campus for a reason and if someone does not appreciate you, then they are truly missing out. Creating relationships based on a façade that you create of yourself will only make you experiences harder on campus.

3. Ask questions!

Do not be afraid to ask questions. It is okay to ask questions about others. You are trying to learn and understand other’s perspectives. However, make sure you are asking with respect. Hostility is fostered by hostility from the other person. There must be respect on both sides as each person communicates.

4. Know that everything happens for a reason.

If Stacey does not want to hang out with you for the fourth time, odds are you are better off without her. It’s nearly impossible to predict the outcome of any situation once you step onto campus. Just know that everything happens for a reason. Make sure you are making decisions that you think are best for you. Do not push yourself into a deep hole of sadness just because one person does not like who you are. It’s nearly impossible to have everyone like you in this world.

5. Accept uncertainty.

It’s hard to accept the uncertainty of your future, especially if this will be your first year of college. But, just know that you are not the only one. This is the first step to learning about yourself and growing. There will be things that do not go as planned and things that will. However, it’s up to you how you want to let it dictate your college experience.

I am a communication major and math minor at Denison University. I enjoy writing and fashion.