5 Children’s Book Personalities You’ll Encounter In Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Even though, in college, we like to think that we are adults, we must admit that our childhood isn’t too far behind us. With that in mind, here’s a little slice of your childhood that will revisit you on campus, in your classes.

1.     The Humbug

“If a small car carrying three people at thirty miles an hour for ten minutes along a road five miles long at 11:35 in the morning starts at the same time as three people who have been traveling in a little automobile at twenty miles an hour for fifteen minutes on another road exactly twice as long as one half the distance of the other, while a dog, a bug, and a boy travel an equal distance in the same time or the same distance in an equal time along a third road in mid-October, then which one arrives first and which is the best way to go?” 

“Seventeen!” shouted the Humbug, scribbling furiously

–       The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

We all have that one kid in class that has no idea what’s going on but blurts out an answer anyway. Keep the Humbug in mind (who doesn’t love the Humbug?) to keep your sanity (and pay attention in class so you don’t become the Humbug!).

2.     Owl

“For some time now Pooh had been saying “Yes” and “No” in turn, with his eyes shut, to all that Owl was saying, and having said “Yes, yes” last time, he said “No, not at all” now, without really knowing what Owl was talking about.”

–       Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne

This might represent a professor or a student, someone who sounds very smart but for some reason cannot communicate that. Pooh probably handled this in the best way possible – nod and smile as if you know exactly what they’re talking about.

3The White Rabbit

“I’m late, I’m late, I’m late, for a very important date!”

–       Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The super organized and always-on-time classmate that freaks out about being on time can be a little obnoxious sometimes…especially for those of us slipping in right before class starts!

4.     Peter Pan

“All children, except one, grow up.”

–       Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

So maybe we haven’t all grown up – there’s still that classmate that acts like a child and needs constant attention, who is immature like your annoying little brother.  They’re not all bad, but they can be a little much sometimes. Best advice would be faith, trust, and just a touch of pixie dust.

5.     Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz

“Going so soon? I wouldn’t hear of it. Why my little party’s just beginning.

–        Wicked Witch of the West, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Whether it’s the professor who hates your guts for no apparent reason, or that student who digs at you during debates, we all know who this person is. We’re just waiting for him/her to come at us with the flying monkeys (we know they have them somewhere).

Though we might wish that our childhood was far behind us, it’s still appearing in our daily lives, in the form of our fellow classmates and professors! Sure, they might not be as cool as they were in our favorite children’s books, but at least you can allow them to bring back fond memories of favorites like Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan.

I am an English/Creative writing major at Denison University and a member of the class of 2019.
I am an English Creative Writing major from Los Angeles, California. In addition to my Her Campus responsibilities, I am also the Editor-in-Chief of Denison's student newspaper. I am involved in Greek life on campus as a sister of Pi Beta Phi. I have an insatiable passion for all things Harry Potter. When I'm not in class, you can find me taking long naps, reading, biking or binge watching Netflix.