You’ve booked your J1! What to do next?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Research: 

So once you have a job and accommodation organised it is time to move on to the next step of your J1! Time for research. Research the destination you are going to, the areas near it and the places you plan to travel to. If you plan to go to any festivals or concerts that require tickets such as Lollapolooza in Chicago book your tickets now! I attempted to go to Alcatraz prison in San Fran and when I rocked up on the day they laughed at me saying tickets had sold out 3 months ago. So if you plan to visit there book your tickets asap! Look up different festivals and events when you’re travelling and decide when the best time to go is.  

Packing, what do you need? 

Documents: 

First of all make sure you have all of your documents. Sayit or the company you have booked with will tell you everything you need so make sure to have everything. For example you should bring your Ds form, J1 booklet, copy of your visa, passport , birth cert, insurance and drivers license. You might not need everything but if something goes wrong or gets lost they are very handy to have! 

Clothes: 

Packing your clothes can be difficult as preparing your clothes for 3 months is a long time. First of all where you are going is more than likely going to be very hot and humid. Bring lots of light clothes and shoes such as shorts, tops, flip- flops and runners. There is no point in trying to stuff your suitcase with 3 months worth of clothes so be rational as it is easy to wash and dry them regularly. As for night wear, the Americans are very casual so depending on where you’re going you will not need anything too fancy.  

Casual shorts, tops, skirts and dresses will do the job unless you are heading to a fancy club in the likes of New York, L.A or Vegas you might need to put your glad rags on. The same goes for high heels, you will not need them unless you plan to head to some cool clubs but you can always buy a pair over there. Your socks will go missing, don’t ask me why they just will especially if you’re living with a lot of people, so bring lots of socks but then again anything you need or run out of anything just buy while you’re there! 

Other tips: 

Unlock your phone before you go, this way when you get there you can get an American sim straight away and continue to use your phone.  

If you are not 21: be careful with fake IDs they are very strict about them and if they have any suspicions they will take it from you. It is best to try and get someone’s old age card or drivers license who is actually 21 which can be hard to find but will work best. Also if you go to a bar or a club which is over 21s but allows 18 year olds they will put a band on your wrist and a mark on your hand to show you can not buy drink. Do not try and wash the mark off and take off the band as you will be thrown out just drink enough before you go! 

Thumbnail by Tim Gouw

Photo by Ashim D’Silva

Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.