Valentine’s Day: Forget the Flowers, Bring On the Chocolate!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

If your annual Valentine’s Day routine consists of watching other people enjoy their Valentine’s Day with their so-called “Bae”, you’re not alone. I’ve had more Valentine’s Days without dates than with, so to me it’s just another normal day. For us who were spared by the love bug, there is nothing I hate more than walking through shops in Dublin City Centre and being bombarded by a sea of red and pink and love hearts. “Be mine”, “Forever Yours”, “I Love You”, “Be my Valentine” surround me like a vicious plague, there’s no escape! There have been too many occasions in shops where I have tripped over giant teddies and huge heart shaped pillows, it’s like a giant fluffy, cuddly apocalypse! Solutions for escaping? There are none. You have to face the reality that you will be spending this once again over-rated day by yourself or most likely with your pet, lucky for me my dog (how romantic).

While I may not become completely overjoyed when February 14th comes around, to me Valentine’s Day is all about expressing your love for your partner. Now, I am very happy for you that you have found that special someone, but I do NOT need to know what he/she bought you for Valentine’s Day! It seems that people spend more money on Valentine’s Day than birthdays or Christmas. Since when did it become so materialistic? A card, flowers and chocolates just won’t cut it anymore. Pandora rings, Calvin Klein matching underwear set, One Million aftershave, Inglot vouchers, the expensive list is endless! Some people take it to new extremes and splash on holidays for their other half, New York or Paris anyone?

Photo by Laura Ockel

But does this really say “I love you”? While you may broadcast all over social media what your “amazing bf” or “stunning gf” got you, does this really express love? If you really love someone you don’t need to tell us you just need to tell them. I believe Valentine’s Day has lost its personal aspect and is only about presents, I mean you might as well just call it a knockoff of Christmas! My Dad doesn’t get my Mum anything for Valentine’s Day anymore because he could never get a more valuable gift than the three words “I love you”. His daily love and affection are enough for my Mum and she doesn’t need yet another piece of jewellery or bouquet of flowers to know that. This to me is the perfect Valentine’s Day gift because if you really love someone then every day should feel like Valentine’s Day.

So what do we non-busy people do on this ‘romantic’ day you ask? Well, I can tell you what we don’t do! We most certainly do not go to the cinema in the evening. Just stay in that night and watch Netflix, probably like every other night! Do not go to any form of fancy restaurant as you will be surrounded by every loved up couple ranging from 18-80 years old, holding hands and feeding each other chocolate fudge cake. Not fun. If you really feel you need to get out of the house (which I strongly advise against) make sure it’s going to a friend’s house where you and your best friends are going to order food, watch the best rom-coms like Clueless and John Tucker Must Die and chat and laugh until the early hours of the morning about how you don’t need a man in your life, you just need your friends!

Take it from the professional Valentine’s Day avoider, use Valentine’s Day as an opportunity to express your love to the people who mean the most to you and realise how lucky you are to have loving people who surround you whether or not that special person fits into this equation. So for those

of you spending February 14th with that someone special, enjoy. But for those of us not so lucky in love, fear not! There is so much more to life than just finding that someone special so just let the day pass without significance and you never know it may not just be another normal day next year.

https://unsplash.com/

Hi I'm Emily and I am a second year Communications studies student from Dublin. I love writing about all things college life-related from beauty to travel so stay tuned for more!
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.