This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

I have a relative who is over 90 and looks twenty years younger than my 83-year-old granny. Her secret, she says? Nivea. Plain big and beautiful, classic Nivea cream which she has doused her body in since she was a child. 

Her diet consists of German root vegetables, yogurts, meats and sauces. She has always gone to bed early and has never made a habit of wearing makeup. 

Everyone I know in Germany has great skin and carries a 2 litre bottle of water around with them.   

Lifestyle is key to good skin, which is a sign of great health. It’s not just having spots, either, that makes bad skin. Having spots often cannot be helped if you have an acne disorder or are going through hormonal changes – you don’t have control over the obstacles your body throws at you. 

Other signs of unhealthy skin are: blocked pores, dull tired skin, large open pores, discoloration and broken capillaries. 

Here’s a few age old tips, including some mentioned above,  to try and pull your skin into tip-top shape! 

1. Take it easy! When washing your face (a task you should try to do properly everyday, and no face wipes don’t count!) or applying makeup, be gentle! The skin on your face is easily damaged and especially sensitive. Use light circular motions or dabbing motions, depending on what you’re doing.  

1. Take it light! Unless you’re over 30 you probably don’t need to be using super heavy creams, and no matter what age you don’t need to be wearing super heavy makeup! Let your skin breathe, take notice of how it reacts to different products and what feels good! 

1. Keep it simple! Using all-natural or bare-minimum products on your skin makes it easier for you to figure what does and doesn’t work on your skin. If you have a serious or long-term skin issue that you think needs to be tackled chemically, do your research and ask around! Ask your pharmacist if you can. 

1. Form healthy habits! A nightly cleanse-tone-moisturise is an act of calming self -care that you will be proud of, and understanding the effect that food has on your body is even more important! Many people find that food high in salt and sugar gets their skin acting up, so even if you don’t think you’re overdoing them try to look at the labels on your food for a few weeks and cut down on anything that would be in the red marker of your daily limit.  

1. Finally, the water intake and nivea! Hydration is everything.  

That’s all I have to offer girls! I know there’s plenty of sworn-by products I could throw into this list, and loads of wacky tips and ‘hacks’, but honestly there’s a reason the basics have stuck around for this long. 

Photo by Noah Buscher on Unsplash

Just a 21 year old journalism student that is passionate about a hell of a lot of things
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.