SU Clubs Officer: Thomas Dorian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

This year Thomas Dorian was elected Clubs Officer for the DCU Student Union. Thomas is a 2nd year Humanities student studying English and History in the hopes of one day becoming a primary school teacher, a dream of his since he was a child.

As a child, Thomas grew up in Louth. From a young age he submersed himself in education and sports.  Himself and his next door neighbour would spend their days forcing their younger siblings to attend their ‘pretend school’, set up in their bedrooms. And if he wasn’t torturing his brothers through arithmetic he could be found riding horses by the beach, jumping hurdles at the running track or in a white karate suit in the local gym. While doing youth work with Forage, Thomas realised the impact sports really had on the lives of young people. He always worked hard within his community, to support the different clubs and its members and always helped anyway he could.

You could say Thomas was a born Clubs Officer.

1. Thomas, since we are still only in October and there are still seven months left in the year, what are your plans for the rest of your time as Clubs Officer?

‘Well, my main aim all year round is to support each club within the DCU community and give every club the help and support they need to succeed.

Irish is my other passion in life. This year I hope to be able to incorporate our native language into all Clubs, by providing all Clubs with useful Irish phrases one thing I said during my campaign and I will say it again is that motivation is the key ingredient in sports. So, I hope to hold multiple talks from Sports Personalities and motivational speakers to get all sporty and non-sporty students empowered and motivated.  I also want to include all campuses, regarding training sessions, so all students can easily get involved.

I also strongly believe that exercise and a healthy lifestyle is a key factor in positive mental health. I would love to work closely with DCU Mental Health Society and DCU Students for Sustainability in Human Lifestyle to encourage the promotion of good mental and physical health.’

1. Out of everyone working on the Students Union, who do you get on with best?

‘Well I think Matt Davey already knows that I would marry him any day because you know in fairness, Good craic. But In all honesty, I couldn’t possibly only have one. Everyone on the SU team brings something different to the table, the most important thing though is how well we get on with each other. I couldn’t ask for a better group of people, everyone works so hard and there is never a dull moment’.

1. So, me being me, I’m going to throw in a music question. What would be your favourite song to work to?

‘Hmm, that’s a tough one. I would probably choose Stand by Me by Ben E. King, or else the soundtrack from Mr. Selfridge. I love Stand by Me because of its soulfulness and swing rhythm. It’s so upbeat and puts me in a great mood. Also Mr. Selfridge is one of my favourite TV series, as its set in an iconic era of history and the music from the show captures the time beautifully’.

1. What advice, if any, would you give to someone contemplating running for a position on the SU or even as a Class Rep, as it is Class Rep time now.

‘Personally, I would say go for it! Running for Clubs Officer was one of the best decisions of my life. It’s amazing how many new and interesting people I have met in the past few weeks. It’s great to know that you can help somebody with a problem no matter how big or small. The role lets you become part of a family and gain so much as an invaluable. So, go for it and don’t hold back!’

Eimear is currently a Humanities Student in DCU, studying Music and Irish. You can usually find Eimear either binge-watching Gilmore Girls oe Ru-Pauls Drag Race. And if not..jamming out and fangirling over Musical Theatre. Eimear can be found daily sitting in the SU Offices on St.Patricks Campus or in Java drowning in coffee. Eimear mainly writes in the area of Relationships, Music and being ginger. Happy Reading xo
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.