Our top 4 Female Role Models for 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It’s now 2017 and over the past decade women’s status in society has changed dramatically, with more female role models emerging. Here is our list of the top inspiring Female Role Models to watch for this year! 

Michelle Obama 

Not only is she adored by the American population, Michelle Obama is idolised all over the world. She has set up countless initiatives to tackle education, obesity and support for military families to name but a few. From taking part to in Carpool Karaoke to dancing with Ellen DeGeneres, Michelle undoubtedly remains an unpretentious idol and certainly a role model for people of all genders and ages to follow. 

Ashley Graham  

Last year Ashley made history by being the first plus model to feature on the front page of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition. Since then, she has been breaking boundaries in the modelling industry. From walking in the Paris Fashion Week to being a guest at the White House Correspondents Dinner, Ashley is positively challenging the perceptions of body image in the 21st century and we cannot wait to follow her journey in 2017. 

Beyonce 

It wouldn’t be a list of Female Role models without Beyonce receiving a mention. Through her music she has managed to explore issues of racism, feminism and monogamy. She represents empowerment for women, promotes positive body image and also has her own charity campaign “Beygood”. If you don’t think she’s worthy of a place on our list, take a look at her ground breaking performance of “Lemonade” at the Vma’s: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vfF5cxlcH8 

Emma Watson  

While we are all really excited to see Emma appear as Belle in Beauty and the Beast this year, she is also an influential role model, campaigning for women’s educational rights. In 2014, she was appointed UN Women Goodwill Ambassador and still holds that position today, promoting gender equality, empowerment for women and fair trade. While also being named on Time Magazine’s “100 most influential people”, Emma deserves a place on our list of Role models to keep an eye on for 2017.  

From musicians to the former First Lady of the United States, women now have endless opportunities and are using their voice to promote change and fight to make a better world. 

Thumbnail by Joseph Young

Photo by Alex Jones

My name is Carmel Kenny and I am communication student with a passion for writing and all things media related.
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.