Make Love, Not War with Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Ah Valentine’s

That one day of the year that attracts lovers and haters alike. There are two kinds of girls when it comes to Valentine’s Day, the Romantics and the Cynics. Regardless of whether you fantasise about the perfect way to spend the day or consider it to be the same as any other day, use the hyped-up occasion as an excuse to treat yourself. Fight the urge to stay under the duvet, watching a gossip girl marathon and generously scooping the melted ice-cream out of a ‘share’ tub. Instead, celebrate love! Go out with ‘that someone special in your life’ and if you are single or your other half is otherwise engaged that night, plan a glamorous gals night out on a student budget.

For you DCU ladies, I have two options. A refreshing stroll to Santry or a short and inexpensive 20-minute bus journey into the city centre. To avoid disappointment, which is often associated with the annual event, I suggest dinner followed by dessert and end the night with a relaxing visit to the cinema or with a few cheeky cocktails.

Photo by Clem Onojeghuo

For Santry, the best option is dinner in Nandos, an Eddie Rockets dessert, then on to the Omni IMC cinema. A linear route. Nandos is a quirky, highly relaxed restaurant with friendly staff, atmospheric

music and fascinating artwork. Their succulent chicken dishes are all bursting with flavour however, the butterflied chicken is a personal favourite of mine. If you are in the mood, dare to go up a spice level and quench the tingling after sensation on your tongue with a delicious Eddie’s dessert. The brownies are just heavenly but if you want something a little lighter, opt for a milkshake or one of the ice cream options then on to the Omni IMC.

For a more exotic night, head into town. Dine in Gotham café on St Anne’s Street, just off Grafton Street, grab dessert in Ginos, only a few footsteps away, on your way to either Cineworld, The Savoy or Sophie’s cocktail bar on Harcourt Street. Gotham Café is an amazing, reasonably priced, romantic restaurant, yet again with exceptional staff and captivating artwork. If you’re looking for something light but tasty, go for one of their fresh salads or the Rosemary and Garlic chicken. However, if you are going all out, try the slightly more expensive and filling Rib Eye Steak with Prawns. If you feel like trying something different, go to Counter where you can build your own burger and create your own milkshake! For you Thai and Chinese lovers I would suggest Wagamama, down past Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre, which does offer a student discount Monday to Thursday, and Mooch. The Katsu chicken curry is the renowned, ‘safe’ student option. Not too spicy and very satisfying. If like me, you love your spice, order the extremely spicy Surendra’s curry. For afters, take a trip to Mooch, choose your ice-cream and your toppings from a vast and unusual range. Pro tip, pick one of the heated toppings which will catch all of your loose toppings.

On a final note, in the words of John Lennon, “make love, not war,” with Valentine’s Day.

https://unsplash.com/

DCU Television and Radio presenter. Illustrator for The College View Newspaper. Writer for DCU's Media Production Society (MPS) blog and Her Campus DCU.
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.