5 Fitness Apps To Get You In Top Shape This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It doesn’t need to be the New Year to get started with your resolution of getting fit and eating healthy!   It has never been simpler with the abundance of technology and free apps we have daily access to get fit. The following 5 apps, available on iOS and Android, will be sure to get you achieving maximum results, and the best thing is ..they are all FREE! Now you have no excuse not to achieve your perfect body and ultimate fitness level, with little or no equipment!  

MyFitnessPal 

This is the best app for calorie counting (if that is what you are into), allowing you to keep track of your daily diet, by showing the number of calories in each food you consume. Log your exercises done that day too, to show how much energy you have burned. Based on your height and weight, it determines your recommended calorie and nutrient intake if you want to either lose, maintain or gain weight. By keeping a “daily diary” of what you eat and your activity levels, this app will be your best friend on your fitness journey! 

SWORKIT 

SWORKIT covers all aspects of fitness – strength, cardio, yoga and even stretching – and all through video workouts, so that you can see how exactly to do each exercise to make the most out of each workout. You can choose workouts that will make you leaner, fitter or stronger and they can last anything from 5 minutes to an hour – So, by saying that you can’t spare 5 minutes out of your day to get a quick, but effective workout in, you are only kidding yourself!  

30 Day Ab Challenge 

There’s no better way to get your body in shape and build muscle than a good old ab challenge, right? Choose your level, from beginner to advanced, and complete your ab exercises given to you for each day. Again, you are shown how to do all the exercise. A challenge is the best way to push yourself towards your goals! 

MapMyRun 

Whether you are up for sprinting lengths of the beach or just jogging on the treadmill, you NEED this app in your life. Using GPS technology to track your running route, MapMyRun monitors your speed and distance per kilometre. It also shows how many calories you have burned following each timed workout. You don’t even need Wi-Fi to use it! Timing yourself makes it more enjoyable to use because you get to challenge yourself each time to do your run faster than the last!  

Alternatively, if you want to ease yourself into running, there is also the “MapMyWalk” app. 

Nike+ Training  

With over 100 workouts to suit your time frame, this app will get you strong, lean and fit in no time – it’s like a personal trainer in your pocket! The expert Nike trainers guide you so you can master each technique through videos. It also allows you to create a plan tailored to your individual needs, that will continually change once you hit your peaks, so you will be continuously improving every day, edging closer towards your goals. 

You will thank yourself in time to come for committing to these apps. You can do it – make 2017 your year – Good luck! 

EXCUSES ARE USELESS ; RESULTS ARE PRICELESS” 

Thumbnail by Dominik Wycislo

Photo by Crew

Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.