Why I Love the Chambers Automatic Door Opener

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Before I left for Davidson, I was “warned” that everyone in the South would seem nice, but probably only half of them would actually be nice. They told me that there is a difference between Southern hospitality and genuine friendliness. Almost every person whom I told that I was going to school in North Carolina said that the South is very, very different from the North.

And these people were right; the South is very different from the North. But not in the way they predicted. The South has a severe lack of Dunkin Donuts, an abundance of sweet tea, and is filled with some amazing people. People who are actually genuinely friendly and care for strangers out of the kindness of their hearts. People who have made me fall in love with this school and this part of the country.

Now let me tell you how I came to find this love.

Every morning, I walk from Belk to Chambers and enter through the doors behind the flagpole. And every morning, I don’t have to open those doors. They are held open by the magical powers of the automatic door opener and some friendly strangers.

Coming from a place where strangers don’t smile at you when you pass them on the street nor do drivers let you merge into their lane without flipping you the bird, I was really shocked to see that people go out of their way to make sure others’ days are just a little bit easier. This button means more to me than just being able to stumble into my 8:15 without having to muster the energy to open the doors. It reminds me every day of the candid kindness of the Davidson community.

Ever since my first day here, I have been struck by the generosity and compassion of the students, faculty, and staff. This is not to say that I haven’t had uncomfortable or awkward interactions with people. However, with each passing day, I realize how thankful I am to be surrounded by an amazing group of kind and caring individuals. So, thank you, Davidson College, for pressing that button and holding the door and smiling at me even though I don’t know you. Thank you for your simple acts of kindness that have taught a Northern girl what makes the South such a special place.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.