What’s All the Buzz About? Introducing Bumble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Tinder can be a tricky place for a collegiette. You swipe right on a cute guy, and, if you’re lucky, you get a match and start talking. What could go wrong? Maybe nothing, but maybe a lot. Women on Tinder notoriously receive slews of messages that are often offensive, degrading, and objectifying.

Enter Whitney Wolfe, the Tinder cofounder who, like the tagline of her app Bumble suggests, is changing the rules of the game. After filing a sexual harassment lawsuit against Justin Mateen, her fellow cofounder, which was settled in 2014 for $1 million and stock in Tinder, Wolfe was ready for a change. So she founded Bumble.

Bumble is very similar to Tinder in that it allows men and women to swipe left or right on each other, and a right swipe from both parties means a match. However, there is one key difference—on Bumble, the woman has to send the first message. You could say it is the Sadie Hawkins of dating apps.

Additionally, on Bumble all matches expire after 24 hours. Yes, that means you have 24 hours to send the first message and get your conversation going. But if someone special hasn’t chatted you up yet, you can extend one connection every 24 hours. Bumble also shows you the college that your potential connection attended, according to their Facebook page, and where they work… which is fun information, especially when trying to get the conversation started and finding out what you have in common.

Cool, right? This is an app that’s giving dating autonomy to women, and the men and women who love us!

Feel weird chatting someone up? Don’t! Here are just a few suggestions to get your convo going:

• Hey insert name here :) (a classic)
  • You have a wonderful smile!
  • Hi, what’s up?
  • Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?
  • I’m insert your name, it’s nice to “meet” you! How are you?

So go on, download Bumble. See what all the buzz is about!!

Josephine is a senior English major from Massachusetts. She is the Marketing and Publicity Director for Her Campus at Davidson, a member of Connor House, and runs the Instagram account @cheeeesefries in her free time.